pasive crossover help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2005, 09:00 PM   #1
lolojr1 is offline lolojr1  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to lolojr1 Send a message via Yahoo to lolojr1
Default pasive crossover help

i need help finding a crossover and thought this is the best place to start i want a simple 3 way adjustable passive crossover

i am planning on using the sonic impact amps and want to cross them over so i can run each amp on a pair of speakers i.e. 1 amp for tweeters 1 for mids and crossover to another amp for bass duties
i want to use these in a small car so they can not be big and i dont want to use a conventional 12 volt car audio crossover because they are way to noisy and there is just to many wires
mainly i just want to keep this setup as simple as possible
i tested the sonic impact amp today on my speakers in my car and they worked really good but the amp picked up alot of alternator whine but i think i can deal with that and go ahead and use them
any help or links to a good site are plenty helpful i looked at the harrison labs passive xover and eq and was wondering if any body has used this product or one like that for a similar setup

thanks
Old 15th January 2005, 11:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think you must be confused.

First you say you want 3 way passive crossovers. The you say you will have an amp for tweets, one for the mids and another for the woofs. That normally indicates the use of active crossovers for any slope greater than 6db/o.

Car crossovers aren't noisy.

The number of wires you need to put up with is what it is. Deal with it.

You talk about a Harrison crossover but don't give a link so we can check it out.
Old 16th January 2005, 01:54 PM   #3
10K2HVN is offline 10K2HVN  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.hlabs.com/products/crossover/

crossovers get the job done and dont add any audible noise - at least not on my subwoofer..
___

i think youre getting your passive and active crossovers mixed up.. because passive crossovers are not (easily) adjustable - because it will require you to switch out parts (caps/inductors). they dont really "add" noise either..

active crossovers are usually easily adjustable. if you buy a decent one and your install is up to par then you shouldnt have any noise - at least not audible in the car environment.
___

passive crossover = non-powered crossover after amplifier

active crossover = powered crossover before amplifier

bi-amped = usually means each speaker (2 speakers) gets its own amplified channel and passive crossover.

(tri-amped = same but with three speakers and channels)
Old 16th January 2005, 11:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

no i do know the difference between a passive and active x over and i do understand a passive would require lots of different caps coils and resistors to change a value

i probably do seem like i am making this device up in my head but i have a adjustable passive hp xover i bought it from a local electronics repair store they are a 6db an octave owner of the store said he has had it laying around for years they look like a FMOD http://www.hlabs.com/products/crossover/ but have a small screw inside of the female end and are adjustable with an ohm meter from around Hz up to about 6300 Hz they are made by peripheral electronics from San Diego ca and all i have is a phone number that is out of service

i cannot seem to find them on line anywhere the site i get is for interface of i pods and noise control and they are in Florida so i seem to think that they went out of business of got bought out
but if something like this possible what i want should be out there i only spent 25$ for the pair so it cant be all that difficult to build i just don't know how

i have had an active x over and had a lot of troubles with it there was an input and out put gain settings and it added a lot of noise and headache to setting my amp gains and getting everything tuned in maybe i had a bad brand it was an audiobahn but its just a x over right
Old 17th January 2005, 02:14 AM   #5
10K2HVN is offline 10K2HVN  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lolojr1
it was an audiobahn
Thats probably your problem.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/COUXM6

This one worked well in my friends car (i installed and tuned). its good/decent quality at a good price. also has been proven to work well for other people.

i personally have an Alpine D300 HU with an Alpine H701 ( http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/...in=10&p_more=y ) you might want to look into that (H700) if you want a good quality crossover - or the H900 if you want the best processor made specifically for the caraudio market.

as for those little adjustable crossovers you mentioned, ive never seen them before.
Old 17th January 2005, 08:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

yea i know the audionbahn is **** and have sence got rid of all of it

Hide this!Advertise here!