fake Alps with 4 legs - how to connect it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Got one of those fake Alps with resistors inside and 4 legs - I would really be very grateful if someone can give me a tip how to use it correctly - I mean the "layout" for the pins! I've tryied few different versions - but none of them was OK! The closest one was when I mixed up IN and GND (I guess) - so it was the opposite way of turning - and there was some difference between 2 chosen positions (one did act as some how loudness effect) ... But after rewiring that - nothing?!?!?!? Now one position is even "dead"?????

Which pin is ussualy "doubled" in such pots? IN, OUT or GND??

I mean - I use it in a pure passive preamp - does that mean I can't make it into the "loudness" effect? I mean - will I gain anything with switching between two positions??

THANKS!

Hi!

Thanks - yes - I also guessed that this additional pin must be some kind of quasi ground - because at the min position - there is some resistance between out and it - than it falls and reaches 0 - and from there on it raises - so after some steps it becomes ordinary pot - BUT - hot to wire it now? I mean - my latest wiring is such that I have a toggle switch with which I choose "real" GND or this quasi one - BUT - at 1st position everything works as it should - at 2nd - NOTHING! ???? No sound, just hum!?!?!

:bawling:

I've already installed toggle switch in to the frotn plate :bawling:

Altoughg - as said - when IN and GND were connected in the opposite way - it actually worked OK in both positions - only the turning direction from min--max was wrong ...
I just don't understand how come now it doesn work at all ??!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.