allen bradley resistors? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2002, 11:02 PM   #1
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
Default allen bradley resistors?

if i plan to build an aleph2, what kind of resistors will be good? does wattage value matter?

most ive seen are typically 1/2 or 1/4 watt. i know that dale, vishay and allen bradley are decent brands. does this really matter?

thanks again guys.
Old 1st August 2002, 02:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
It matters again, how much you want to spend. If you do cost no object amp you might use Vishay or Caddock, but I don't think you are willing to spend $4-10 a pc. Some people tantalum resistors, other choose Allen Bradley, but the last don't have great tolerance, are limited in values and used mostly in tube equipment.
I myself favour Holcos. They were used mostly by Sonic Frontiers and two major distributors of exotic audio parts for diy, Michael Percy and Welbourne Labs, stock them too. Next step up would be Caddock MK132 at $4 a pc.
Holco resistors received good reviews and on certain occasions I prefer them to Caddocks. To tell the truth I started using Caddocks only recently, because they seemed too expensive to me and I really didn't think that resistors make a difference. It changed now, every component makes a difference. It all depends how much resolution your system has. I trust my ears and I'm not looking for evidence.
Holcos are around $0.50 a pc. They recently introduced new line, which is no longer non magnetic and apparently doesn't sound as good as old ones. The above distributors stil stock the old production though. Welbourne Labs started to sell Dale resistors now, when Holcos are not as good anymore, and the price is around $0.20 a pc. They say they are almost as good as old Holcos.
Early Alephs 0 used 1W Matsushita resistors everywhere, available from Digi-Key, and received phenomenal reviews.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 1st August 2002, 02:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

awesome, you are just a constant source of great info.

the only reason i really ask, is because they have a box of like 30K allen bradley's on ebay, of various types for like $10. i invested in a great multimeter, with 0.1% accuracy, so tolerences arent really that high on my list... i will test EVERY component before it goes in.

but basically, and of those you mentioned are worth getting minus the new holcos? (in your opinion of course...)
Old 1st August 2002, 02:21 AM   #4
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
what about dale resisters the ones that are gold colour and have fins and mount onto heatsinks..

j'
Old 1st August 2002, 02:24 AM   #5
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

13 pounds of resistors? Currently at US $8.50 with 3h left? Is that what you're looking at? Hell, even if some people prefer other brands to allen bradly, go for it, you can't really get any resistor for that price.
Old 1st August 2002, 02:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Old Holcos and Dales are good all around choice (Pass Labs use Dales). The gold ones with fins are power resistors and can be used in SOZ. For power resistors in Alephs I recommend blue Panasonic (Matsushita) 3W from Digi-Key. Good value. Don't use those white cement types.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 1st August 2002, 02:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

yep, thats it. i hestitated mentioning it because i didnt want competition. but whatever, if i get it, i will gladly send free ones to anyone who asks. i can even find the closest match.

i might use them, i might not, we will see. is it bad to mix and match?

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBob
13 pounds of resistors? Currently at US $8.50 with 3h left? Is that what you're looking at? Hell, even if some people prefer other brands to allen bradly, go for it, you can't really get any resistor for that price.
Old 1st August 2002, 02:33 PM   #8
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

I found a great deal on 1/2w Shinkoh tantalum film resistors from Audio Note(close out special). I purchased enough for my a40 project and for an Aleph 2 that I will build next. I'm not sure exactly what difference they will make, I bought them because they were only $1.80 each and everything I've found about says people really love them. They were recommended for both tube and solid state gear. The Allen Bradley seemed (in what I found about them) to be mostly preferred for tubes. I am wondering if either the Allens or the Shinkohs will make solid state gear like the Aleph2 sound a little bit more like "tube stuff". The only comparisons I will be able to make, however, are between the a40 and the Aleph2 and a set of Marantz MA500 monoblocks that I am currently using... It will probably be a few more months before my a40 is up and running.
Old 1st August 2002, 03:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

well, no go on the allen bradley's anyway... looks like word got out and a bidding war started! i knew i shouldnt have said anything. jumped from $8.50 to $60+ in like 3 hours. sigh.

oh well, guess ill have to find something else. the aleph's dont seem to have THAT many resistors in them, even at like $1 each, thats not HORRIBLE.
Old 1st August 2002, 04:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Cowanrg,

I know I'm too late with my input since the auction is done, but I'm on lunch now so I'll post anyway.

I have the BrianGT Aleph boards so I'm going to use the Vashay-Dale RN60's he designed the boards for. But, I have also amassed a large variety of no-name metal film (I'm sure they have a name, I just don't know it) resistors that I'll used in the areas where I need some variability during the construction process. I can then replace them later with the Dales, once everything is set and the amp is working properly.

I'm sure there will be more on eBay,
Rodd Yamas***a

Hide this!Advertise here!