Complementary JFET pairs in the UK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like using FETs of all kinds and I also like building symmetrical things. Thus a problem that plagues me is that finding complementary pairs of JFETs is difficult. First it's hard to find what component is a complement to another, since very few specify a complement in the datasheet. Secondly, even if I do find a suitable pair, it's very unusual to be able to actually purchase them at the usual places of RS and Farnell.

Does anyone here know of a reliable supplier who stocks JFETs?

Matching FETs is quite easy. Just set up a jig to simulate the desired operating point and use a voltmeter. This will be better than relying on someone else's matching procedure which may or may not be suitable for your application.

And generally, FETs are cheap enough to overbuy. If I need two matched sets, I'll buy 20 or 30 FETs, and end up with a few matched sets plus some overage to use in less critical spots (like followers).

I'm also looking for complementary JFETs in TO-92 package for input to amplifier. I've seen an amp that uses J105 and J106. Not sure if these devices are best for good results. Any comments? Are there any specs I should pay close attention to when choosing devices? Amplifier I am building does not use global negative feedback at all. So device selection is probably more sensitive. Any advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.