DIY RCA: Silver Plated Copper Wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've learnt that there is simly no way of telling how silver wire sounds by just looking at it. IME the sounds of solid core silver varies from barely acceptable through mundane to absolutely glorious. I have also noticed no corellation with purity.

Plated multistrand copper, otoh, seems uniformly bad. Just my opinion.

Re: Re: DIY RCA: Silver Plated Copper Wire

Sch3mat1c said:

...I bet titanium would be wonderful... light yet strong soundstage...

Tim
ive never heard the use of titainium...

http://www.amm.com/index2.htm?/ref/conduct.HTM

but according to that link, it doesnt look like titainium conducts electricity very well.....?

analog_sa said:
I've learnt that there is simly no way of telling how silver wire sounds by just looking at it. IME the sounds of solid core silver varies from barely acceptable through mundane to absolutely glorious. I have also noticed no corellation with purity.

Plated multistrand copper, otoh, seems uniformly bad. Just my opinion.
thanks for your input (both of you ;)) but if you look at the prices of those wires, thats about the range in cost that i am in..

after some searching i found solid silver wires to be completely out of my budget.. :(

what about fairly priced good copper wire, silver solder, and silver RCA connectors..?

thanks again,

Re: Re: Re: DIY RCA: Silver Plated Copper Wire

10K2HVN said:

ive never heard the use of titainium...

http://www.amm.com/index2.htm?/ref/conduct.HTM

but according to that link, it doesnt look like titainium conducts electricity very well.....?

Exactly...

Besides the radiation and heavy metal poisoning, I bet plutonium would be absolutely fabulous. . .

Tim

Re: Re: Re: Re: DIY RCA: Silver Plated Copper Wire

Sch3mat1c said:

Exactly...

Besides the radiation and heavy metal poisoning, I bet plutonium would be absolutely fabulous. . .

Tim
i only have a basic understanding of electronics but since our audio systems use electricity to transfer an audio signal, i thought it would be best to have the most conductivity to prevent any loss in between components....?
___

what do you guys think of carbon wires..?

http://www.vandenhul.com/

I agree totally with analog_sa. Eischmann Silver plugs sure are swank, but sets you back about $100. There are cheaper alternatives, but none really cheap I believe.

An alternative to hook-up wire and litz might be getting professional microphone cable . This example is from a European site, but should give an idea. Here's a pair twisted cable . This particular cable is made of PVC, though it doesn't say. Prices are in Pound Sterling.

Edit: VDH The First is pretty good and has a price to match. But I can't say anything about carbon per se.

analog_sa said:

Copper wire is fine. I use Kimber hookup wire for almost anything and like it a lot.

Why silver RCAs?

well..from what ive been reading.. the general thesis is that silver wires give more detail (because of better conductivity?) over copper wires..and thats my reason for wanting silver wires..

from my basic knowledge of electronics, 'electricity travels the path of least resistance'. if i were to use the silver-plated copper wire, i figure the it would be a cheaper alternetive to using solid silver wire..because the audio signal (electrical current) will travel through the silver (less restrictive / more conductive) over the copper.

that was my original reasoning..but you brought up a point of "sounds uniformly bad" which also makes sense because a partial amount of current might also travel through the copper as well as the silver and may cause some irregularities...

^but..if that were so, then that should hold true for all silver plated copper wire - good quality sounding better then the lesser quality, of course - but silver plated copper wire, none the less.

analog_sa said:

The good ones are certainly not cheap and only make sense if RCA socket and wire are also silver.

yeah..i dont see why anyone would use highly conductive silver wire with less conductive gold rca plugs... according to the "metalic conductivity" link, even copper is more conductive then gold. from what i understand, gold is just used as a protective coating...

10K2HVN said:

i only have a basic understanding of electronics but since our audio systems use electricity to transfer an audio signal, i thought it would be best to have the most conductivity to prevent any loss in between components....?[/url]
Sorry if the materials comments are confusing. They are not serious comments, but instead poke fun at the tendency for the descriptions of the sound of materials to follow the physical appearance. For instance people often say that silver sounds brighter than copper... silver is indeed brighter than copper in appearance. Make of that what you will. Maybe plutonium would be described as having a heavy sound...

10K2HVN said:
...according to the "metalic conductivity" link, even copper is more conductive then gold. from what i understand, gold is just used as a protective coating...
The reasons for gold plating connectors include:
1) Corrosion resistance, which is important for long-term reliability especially in polluted environments.
2) Softness. Gold deforms slightly under pressure, leading to increased contact area and thus lower contact resistance, despite the lower conductivity.
3) It looks nice.

Silver IS the most conductive element known. Why? Well Most silver only has a 1+ oxidation number. What does that mean? it only has one valence elctron just like Copper and Gold. Silver is a better conductor than copper because it had a larger atomic radii. therefor the valence elctron has more energy. Gold has an even larger atomic radii. But for some reason gold doesnt conduct as well as even copper. so why is it used? well gold doesnt tarnish. When metal oxidises it looses condictivity.
Silver would be great fo RCA's untill it tarneshes. the music would cut then you would find twisting the RCA's in the input jack will tempraily fix the problem. but it would soon come back. This is beause when you twisted it you scraped off some of the oxides. the best solution would be to take htem out and use a silver poishing rag to remove the tarnish. DO NOT USE LIQUID TARNISH REMOVERS. these are usually Acids much like the acids in acid core solder. if left un evaporated they can eat through the silver and into the copper core. on top of shorting out the leads in the RCA.
If you are wondering why the RCA's are coated with silver and not solid silver. well the thing is cost. well then why use silver at all? well most of the resistance in RCA or any type of cable for that matter is the plug in conections, that is metal to metal contact instad of soldered leads.
as far as titaniam goes, all metals conduct electricity, but titanium's most abundant oxidation numbers are 3+ and 4+. the less valence electrons an element has the more condiuctive it is. an 4+ reaches into the semiconductor zone. other semiconductors are phosphorus dopes Silicon and ****nic doped Germanium, Tin, Lead, and even carbon CAN be used as a semi conductor though it is a very poor semi conductor. also, Titanium's atomic radi is the same sized as that of copper but it has 2-3more valence electrons. (if you dont know where i am getting this from maybe you should have payed more attention in chemistry)

Edit:
Why did it blank out the first four letters of the Element [As]?

In fact, I feel like satisfying my curiosity. Let's see...

http://www.webelements.com/webelements/properties/text/image-flash/electrical-resistivity.html

The best conductor of course is silver, at 1.6 x 10^-8 ohm/m. Copper is slightly worse at 1.7, but being 100 times cheaper, no one is complaining. :D Sodium weighs in at 4.7, comparable to zinc at 5.9 and half that of iron at 9.7. Manganese hits 160, seconded by plutonium at 150 -- I stand corrected, I want manganese interconnects! Probably way too brittle for drawing though. Aluminum is 2.6.

Now for valances on these:
Ag = 1; Cu = 1,2; Na = 1; Zn = 2; Fe = 2,3,6(?); Mn = 7,6,4,3,2; Pu = 6,5,4,3; Al = 3.

So tell me, how is aluminum at valence = 3 more conductive than any alkali metal squarely at valence = 1? :D

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.