A question on magnets and coils...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I was wondering, if I have a magnet in the shape of a cylinder, and a coil that is would so that the diameter of the center gap is slightly larger than the cylinder magnet, what would happen if I placed the cylinder magnet inside the coil and ran a current through the coil. AC current would then cause a magnetic filed in the coil, correct? So the cylindrical magnet would grepelled from the coils edges and stay "perfectly" in the center as well as being pushed in a direction (up or down), or be attracted to every edge of the coil and get sucked up or down, right?

I'm just not too sure on this. I'm trying to do something like that, have the cylinder weighted and have the coil standing up so that I can slowly turn up the amperage and find a point when the tube is held relatively steady.

I was just wondering how to do this, and I'm gathering my idea is flawed so far, just wanted input on it. Thanks...

Depending on the current used the coil will move further with more current because of the stronger field generated. If the freq used is too low then the coil will move too far to stay on the magnets center. If the freq is high is will not have enough time to travel very far and it will keep closer to the center. If you are trying to suspend something in midair with the coil, give it up. If it weighs anything it will take too much power and your coil will burn up.

Beam me up Scotty

What you are sugesting is not easy. THe poles of your cylinder magnet meet in the middleand at very small distance from the middle start to get weaker or stronger. The power supply that you would need is an extremely finly variable DC supply or a custom high frequency AC supply to try and stay ahead of the natural tendency of the coil to repell up and down everytime there is a zero crossing (normally at 60 hz)

Mark

Well, in the case of maglev, if the magnet was spinning would the gyroscopic motion keep it stable? Apparently it would in some cases as I've read, but I'm not sure why or how to figure out if it would in a case like mine. Anyone know of any resources to read up on maglev of a spinning object? Idealy it'd be 33-45rpm ;).

And no, I don't want to make a world class maglev turntable, I want to make a maglev turntable, and even if it works for a minute or two I'd be happy. Even if it never works or if it's too hard to even start, I just want to feed my curiousity if I can :).

Thanks, I'll go read through it. Since it's a rather large thread it's kinda hard to find sometihng in it through the search function, best bet is to have someone point you to it. Thanks again.

Also, on a more doable note, would it be possible (I'm guessing yes) and at all a good idea to use a normal ball bearing but use some sort of maglev, possibly permanent magnets to lessen the stress on the bearing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.