Want to measure V on the scope: should I buy a new one or build a low noise preamp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2004, 03:30 PM   #1
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Question Want to measure V on the scope: should I buy a new one or build a low noise preamp?

Hi all,

I'd like to be able so see voltages down to the microvolt on my scope (Tektronix 2232, max sensitivity is 2mV/div), to measure low noise power supplies, DACs etc...

I know some old Tek scopes can measure down to the microvolt level, but that could cost me more than 200

Is a low noise preamplifier possible? In DIY too?

I'd like to have some advices.

Thank you, and merry christmas to all

Alex
Old 23rd December 2004, 03:49 PM   #2
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Hi Bricolo, the latter with a ultra low noise opamp like AD797
:idea
Old 23rd December 2004, 03:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That's the solution I'd prefer too, but according to the datasheet:

"110MHz GBW"

So, to visualize V on my mV scale, I'd need a *1000 Gain. The preamp would be limited to 110kHz bandwidth, can't this be a problem?
Old 23rd December 2004, 07:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Is Elso the only one interested?
Old 23rd December 2004, 08:06 PM   #5
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb AS797

Quote:
Originally posted by Bricolo
Is Elso the only one interested?
I vaguely remember John Curl is using this opamp for some measurement instrument.
Old 23rd December 2004, 08:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK

I'll try to contact John Curl, and Scott Wurcer to see what they think.
I was also thinking about the 797, but strangely, in the dhatasheet, they recommand other opamps for sources with high impedance (AFAIK, a probe is >100k)

I think the layout and PS won't be trivial for this

Thanks Elso!
Old 23rd December 2004, 08:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I would try a INA103 with a diiferential front end. The '103 isn't as quiet as the 797 but the diff input may help. Both options have pluses and minuses.
Old 23rd December 2004, 10:13 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

What was the opamp that Wurcer used for the capacitor tests?

Yeah, a gain of 60 dB is going to be a real challenge if you want bandwidth. Are you SURE you need to go better than 100kHz at that level?
Old 23rd December 2004, 10:25 PM   #9
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi Bricolo,

I found a schematic of the AC millivoltmeter in an old Elektor issue that you may use as an instrumentation amp. Its most sensitive range is 200uV, which could be just about enough for your purposes. The design itself is quite simple (FET at the input, discrete opamp). The article and the schematic can also be found in "Electronic Test Instruments" by Elektor Electronics, 1994 (ISBN 0 905705 37 8).

Regards,
Milan
Old 23rd December 2004, 10:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I am currently using one of Scott Wurcer's IN-AMP designs, the AD525. It is not as quiet as the AD797, BUT it has built in gain settings, up to 1000, (I use 100) and it has a true differential input. Run it by Scott. I use 9V batteries to power it.

Hide this!Advertise here!