Precision resistor source in Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've been trying to find some 0.1% 16R2 resistors in Aus but I am having a lot of trouble.

Farnell and RS both stock Welwyn RC55Y but only down to 51R1

anyone know where I can get them from. I really don't want to have to pay $12US shipping to Mouser and have to wait 3 weeks :)

any brand is ok, but prefferably at least .25W, just need 4 for making a 1W 4 Ohm resistor for my walin jig II

googled on precision resistor and 0.1% resistor but have drawn a blank.

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tried precision too, but nothing of use. I did some calcs and with 1% 16 ohm resistors parralled the max error will be about 0.04 ohms so I guess .1% aren't really necessary.

I'll go with the .1%'s for the 16 ohm made up of 4 X 64.9's (well close to 16.22) the actual value isn't critical, just knowing what it is is important :)

Tony.

Assuming a normal distribution of values around a mean of the specified resistance, you should get excellent results by paralleling a large number of resistors of a higher value, say 100 1.62K 1% resistors. However, the accuracy you are looking for (16 milliOhms) is going to be very hard to achieve. How will you measure the resistance of your circuit board or other connections? What about your probes?

Lately I've found that ordering ,1% Dale parts from Mouser is a lot less work than ordering 1% parts and matching them. I only really required them in diff amps where the CMRR is important.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes the difficulty of measurement is exactly the reason for going with the precision parts. I only have a very ordinary DMM which hasn't got a hope of measuring low ohms accurately.

That is why I wanted the .1% resistors, then I don't have to measure them :)

I'm happy though with the going with 4 X 16 ohm 1% in parallel, and saying they are nominally 4 ohms... the error will only be +- .04 ohms which I don't think I'll complain about!!!

Tony.

I thought any ordinary DMM measures voltage within the mV range?

The resistor you need to measure is a 0.25 watt 16 Ohm resistor.
Meaning it can handle 2000 mV and 125 mA.

2000 mV can be measured by a DMM with an accuracy much better than 0.1 %.
If the lowest a DMM measures is 1 mV the accuracy for 2000 mV would be 1.0005

Build a 2 volt supply, put the voltage on a 16 Ohm resistor and measure the current with a Max741 IC.
The max741 has an accuracy of 0.1 %

1 - (1.0005/1.001) < 0.05 %
1 - (0.9995/1.001) < 0.15 %

A resistor with a 0,1 % accuracy can be anything between
0.149 % and 0.049 %

I fail to see the problem.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you have an accurate DMM to start with ;) I know mine isn't that accurate.....

OK maybe I'm lazy, and maybe I don't want to fork out $300+ for a decent DMM, I just thought it was a lot easier/cheaper to get some accurate resistors and not have to worry about measuring them, than it was to get standard 1% types and try and measure them accurately.

The whole point with this is, that if the callibration resistors are "known" with good accuracy, then anything unknown (measured using the jig), will be measured with (hopefully) similar accuracy.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.