I need to power 5x LM833N - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2004, 04:54 AM   #1
muhy3 is offline muhy3  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to muhy3 Send a message via MSN to muhy3 Send a message via Yahoo to muhy3
Default I need to power 5x LM833N

I am currently studying computer systems engineering, and I am also an audio enthusiast. Recently I have been sketching my own circuits using the internet and books but I have many unanswered questions in my mind.

I designed a band-pass 24dB filter to use for my future 12" XLS subwoofer and now I am designing a suitable regulated power supply. The LM833 data sheet specifies a +/-15V at Vcc, Vee to power each IC.

The circuit I have found easy enough for me to build uses a 240VAC transformer to 12.6VAC @ 1.9A which has a supply voltage of 16V. If I replace the capacitors with 200uF and resistors with 23ohm I get the desired 15V. I would like to know if this circuit is suitable to use, and if my numbers are correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psu.jpg (12.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 15th December 2004, 07:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

LM833s are very similar to 5532s. The current draw for five of them will not be very high, so an easy way of getting open-loop regulated power rails would be to use your transformer, bridge and capacitors (no resistors) to give 18v or so, and then build a couple of very simple emitter-follower regulators for the + and - rails.

Each regulator would only need a 15V Zener, a resistor and a transistor (NPN for the +ve rail, PNP for the negetive rail) to give outputs of approx +/- 14.4V.

Shout if you need a schematic.
Old 15th December 2004, 07:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to muhy3 Send a message via MSN to muhy3 Send a message via Yahoo to muhy3
Quote:
Originally posted by Ouroboros
LM833s are very similar to 5532s. The current draw for five of them will not be very high, so an easy way of getting open-loop regulated power rails would be to use your transformer, bridge and capacitors (no resistors) to give 18v or so, and then build a couple of very simple emitter-follower regulators for the + and - rails.

Each regulator would only need a 15V Zener, a resistor and a transistor (NPN for the +ve rail, PNP for the negetive rail) to give outputs of approx +/- 14.4V.

Shout if you need a schematic.
A schematic would be appreciated very much if it's not too much trouble. Thank you for helping me.
Old 15th December 2004, 08:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

This is the sort of thing. Most textbooks will show something similar. This is using a CT transformer, but your half-wave system will work provided the current is low. You'll need about 18V dc on each of the input 2200uf main smoothing caps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simple_reg.jpg (23.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 15th December 2004, 08:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your help, sir. I will contact you as soon as I complete the power supply and tell you how I went.

Hide this!Advertise here!