Source for high-quality amp enclosure? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2003, 08:02 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hey Paul - I'm looking to purchase a chassis very soon, so I would love to hear your impressions of the par-metal case (did you get the 20 series?). How was the build quality?

Thanks!! Todd
Old 3rd November 2003, 12:38 AM   #12
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Hey! I just found this system while following a link to Paia for something else. It looks perfect for Integrated amps, modular
multichannel gainclones , etc. I love that modular look!

http://www.paia.com/fracrak.htm

Also I have mentioned this in the past:

http://www.plitron.com/
(the transformer people)

then go to "Site Map"

and select "Chassis"

Doesn't have heatsinks fo r solid state, but they could be mounted on top!
Old 3rd November 2003, 05:21 AM   #13
Possum is offline Possum  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Possum Send a message via AIM to Possum
Todd,

I bought a 20-series chassis for my AKSA 100 amp at the beginning of this year. It was custom-made for a particular dimension with hole, rectanguar, and vent cutouts and was clear anodized all the way around. I'd have to say the build quality is excellent. The chassis came out almost exactly as I planned and hoped.

There were a few disappointments with my order though. I ordered the optional 0.25" front panel but instead received a front panel of the next size down (0.187" maybe). This wasn't too bad, since I only wanted the thicker panel for appearance. The optional panel cost $40 extra for the 0.25" and $30 extra for the 0.187" - I didn't realize this until after I was given the invoice.

The other problem I had was that the holes on one half of the bottom panel were off by 0.25" from what I specified. Luckily this wasn't critical. I have a feeling the error was due to the way I provided the cutout descriptions. A proper drawing is recommended.

The last minor complaint is that the handles aren't that impressive. I'll probably switch them out sometime in the future.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the Par-Metal 20-series chassis. I've recently read about some bad experiences with Sescom and am glad my order with Par-Metal came out well.

My post with more details of the completed AKSA can be found here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=1558

-Greg
Old 3rd November 2003, 03:12 PM   #14
Account Disabled

I just recieved by black 20-series parmetal case today. it is very very nice. I would recomend it to anyone. It is on an order of quality of the greater than 1000 USD receiver/HT type system.

-Paul Hilgeman
Old 4th November 2003, 03:19 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks Greg and Paul for your feedback on these cases - I've been trying to get them to acknowedge my e-mails right now (big pet peeve!), so I would have written them off without your positive feedback. Maybe I'll try calling tommorow.

Nice amp by the way, greg!

-Todd
Old 4th November 2003, 05:13 AM   #16
Possum is offline Possum  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Possum Send a message via AIM to Possum
Thanks Todd. My advice is to DEFINITELY CALL THEM.

Ask for John Ngo, listed as Technical Sales on the website. He's the one I spoke to all the time regarding the details of my chassis. It was suggested to contact John by another member of the forums who posted about their positive experiences with Par-Metal. My experience was that he's either slow to respond or doesn't respond at all to e-mails, even though it appeared he read them when I called.

When dealing with Par-Metal, use e-mail only to send files or specific details of your order. Call them to make sure they received the e-mails, understand them, and carry out the order exactly as you want. Clear communication will help prevent errors like the ones with my order.

-Greg

Hide this!Advertise here!