Paralleling transformer secondaries.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If i have a trans that has a pair secondary outputs 30V and the trans is rated 225VA. Assuming my requirement is only one of the 30V secondary; can i simply parallel the two secondaries and achieve better VA rating? Ok, if it does not improve VA, any harm will come of it?

Anyone plse advise. Thanks.

Hi,
carefully check that you find the 0v & 30v ends of both windings before you connect them.
If you connect the 0v to the other 30v then you end up with 60v into a short circuit.
I suggest you connect them in series first & check you have 60v into open circuit.
Get it right & you have twice the current capacity at the same voltage i.e. 30v 7.5a
Q how do you check series primaries are correct before you connect the mains?
regards Andrew T.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
carefully check that you find the 0v & 30v ends of both windings before you connect them.
If you connect the 0v to the other 30v then you end up with 60v into a short circuit.
I suggest you connect them in series first & check you have 60v into open circuit.
Get it right & you have twice the current capacity at the same voltage i.e. 30v 7.5a
Q how do you check series primaries are correct before you connect the mains?
regards Andrew T.
Hi, the winding diagram is given and wire leads are color coded, should have no problem. i have connected up in series and yes, the 60v is there.
ok, how do i connect them ?

Pair 1
-------
30V - red
0V- black

Pair 2
-------
30V - Orange
0V - Yellow

I would think RED to Orange and Black to Yellow. Am i correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.