MJL4281A vs. MJL3281A...++

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Several places on the internet I have read about people that have praised theese new transistors (MJL4281A (NPN) and MJL4302A (PNP) all the way up in the skyes......
For instance: http://sound.westhost.com/project3a.htm

I downloaded the pdf-files regarding theese transistors, and also the older MJL3281A/MJL1302A and the latter(?) looks better/ more linear and more equal as a (complementary) pair.....at least in the pdf-files.

Is this only on paper, or are the "old" ones still the be(a)st ???

Have anybody had the opportunity to listen to theese in the same cirquit ?,
...and are there sonically differences between them ?

Lyra

Hi,
it appears from the data that to extend the voltage ability Onsemi have compromised the gain at high currents. Now falls of above 5A against 8A in 1302.
this may lead to extra distortion at high current outputs i.e. low loads or reactive loads.
Is Onsemi's 1302 as good as the obsolete Toshiba device?
regards Andrew T.

Lyra said:
Several places on the internet I have read about people that have praised theese new transistors (MJL4281A (NPN) and MJL4302A (PNP) all the way up in the skyes......
For instance: http://sound.westhost.com/project3a.htm

I downloaded the pdf-files regarding theese transistors, and also the older MJL3281A/MJL1302A and the latter(?) looks better/ more linear and more equal as a (complementary) pair.....at least in the pdf-files.

Is this only on paper, or are the "old" ones still the be(a)st ???

Have anybody had the opportunity to listen to theese in the same cirquit ?,
...and are there sonically differences between them ?

Lyra
hi there, i haven't tried the mjl3281a/mjl1302a but, i have compared the mjl4281a/mjl4302a to the mjw3281a/mjw1302a in the same amp and, the mjl4281a/mjl4302a pairs had a much fuller bodied sound with better details and with a more powerful sound but, very clean so i left them in my particular onkyo power amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.