Online parts? Good source? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2004, 09:44 AM   #1
Liver is offline Liver  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Online parts? Good source?

Gents,

In your opinion who would be a good source over the internet to get components (resistors, caps, etc) from?

I recently bought a single Hammond 1455 enclosure from Mouser and the estimated shipping cost was $3.77. As you know the shipping costs are calculated after you hit confirm. When the bill came due, the shipping was $9.78. This is for continental, east of Miss.

Maybe UPS charges that much, maybe they don't, that is not my question.

Any place that you find to be reliable and have OVERALL cheaper costs?

I would get everything from Micheal Percy, but I am not qualified to handle the good components yet.

As an aside, I also bought some stuff from siliconacoustics for my computer. The item was small, so instead of shipping it FedEx or UPS (at 3-5 bucks), they just put a stamp on it! And informed me of that.

Just wanted to give the bad and the good shipping experiences this weekend.

Thanks

Liver
Old 24th November 2004, 01:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default PARTS

HerE are 3
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/
http://www.partsexpress.com/
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

JEFF
Old 24th November 2004, 01:38 AM   #3
Liver is offline Liver  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Exactly what I wanted

I mean, I could do a web search and find these places. However, to get someone's recommendation is much better.

Good customer service, you tell people and they get more business.

Thanks,

Liver
Old 24th November 2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Default A good source

If you're looking for more, you can head over to ePanorama.net and click on Component Dealers, there you'll find a VERY lengthy list of dealers that offer everything including surplus and what not. The site is also a reasonable source of links for more information on a number of things.

Personally, I've ordered from PartsExpress, Digikey, Mouser, MCM, and All Electronics, all with good results.
Old 24th November 2004, 01:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Online parts? Good source?

Quote:
Originally posted by Liver

Maybe UPS charges that much, maybe they don't, that is not my question.

Liver

Next time check "Priority Mail" -- it is usually less expensive than UPS and they will deliver on Saturday. I often get stuff from Digikey the next day (or day after) if it is ordered by early afternoon the day prior.

I like UPS a lot, but there is a fuel-surcharge in effect and sometimes delivery to a residence is more than delivery to a business. The USPost Office hasn't yet raised its rates to take into account the higher cost of diesel fuel.
Old 24th November 2004, 08:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'd put my hand up for Digikey, using global express mail from the USPS. As I live in New Zealand, shipping is always about $25 from the US, so I have to balance that up against the prices of the parts.

At any rate, the USPS Global express mail is always quoted as 7-10 days delivery, but reliably lands at my front door in 3 days!

I've always found Digikey to be very competitive on pricing, especially in volume. Shame they don't stock locally (sigh!).

Hide this!Advertise here!