Self etched PCBs: what trace width and spacing should I use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am not so sure about the size of the tracks and spacing if you have doubts regarding the software's default setting then go overkill for safety by manual setting if it is an option.

Let me share my experience with laser prints and iron onto the copper. I like to set the print to BOLD to ensure enough toner but when you have spacing too close to each other then there is a danger of BOLD would make a short! As pinkmouse stated try and experiment. At this stage you are not going to ruin the copper board since you can wipe it clean and start printing again..

hope this help

The Butcher

My experience

I have made a lot of PCB's with trackwidth: 15mills and track-to-track spacing: 12mills without any errors. The biggest source of error is usually the poor quality of the PCB that are available to me.

If there is the smallest scratch in the protective foil you'll get an error in you design. But the same goes for the quality of your print-work.

HP's Laserjet 4 (and maybe 5) are some of the best. They will print perfekt every time even for smaller trackwidths.

TroelsM

Denmark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.