Did you know that the tightness of the jacket materials could change the sound? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2004, 04:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Did you know that the tightness of the jacket materials could change the sound?

I found this on the Gutwire website and realise it is something new to me and therefore hard to swallow. can anyone share their views or experiences if u had experiment with the tightness of jacket of your cables or the weight of connectors and cables to create an effect due to resonances control on powercords?

Excerpts from the manufacturer :

"Did you know that the tightness of the jacket materials could change the sound? Our jacket materials are designed to be loose. After numerous experiments, the tightness of the jacket materials does affect the sound significantly. If the jacket materials fitted the cable very tightly, the sound of music would have been very constraint and the "vividness" of music would have disappeared."

"On the AC end of our power cables, we use Hubbell hospital-grade AC connector. There is pretty much no argument on the sound quality of the Hubbell. There are two types of hospital-grade connector. One is what we are using right now. The other is a clamshell type connector. Having experienced both connectors on our cables, we found out that the weight of the cable and the connector were closely affecting each other. Therefore, Hubbell 8215 is being used for its superiority to damper the unwanted resonance and achieving better sound."

www.gutwire.com
Old 13th November 2004, 04:31 PM   #2
fcel is offline fcel  United States
diyAudio Member

It's official: all cables sound the same!
Old 13th November 2004, 05:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
therefore hard to swallow

Do you have extensive experience with cables, especially diy? Does your experience go against their claims? Have you noticed improved sound with a tight jacket?

Last, but not least: do you hear difference between cables at all? Between amps? Between speakers?
Old 13th November 2004, 05:44 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
do you hear difference between cables at all? Between amps? Between speakers?
no, yes, yes
Old 13th November 2004, 05:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
no, yes, yes
Many don't hear differences between amps; others hear cables but not jackets. Is it so remarkable that some people hear a lot more (less) than others?
Old 13th November 2004, 06:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
new to me and therefore hard to swallow
Thats the property of snake oil when sceptics try it.
Old 13th November 2004, 07:02 PM   #7
johnnyx is offline johnnyx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

When I was very young, I thought that stepping on a power coble would stop the flow of electricity, like stepping on a water hose. Of course, now I know better, yet this is just what the hi fi cable guy is trying to tell you. He has a tighter grip on his dick than he does on electrical theory.
Old 13th November 2004, 07:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

@
johnnyx

Your former childish believes seems are shared and not have been outgrown by quite a few so called "high end" equipment manufacturers - i.e claiming microphonie in cables (maybe, but under what test conditions), skin effects in the audio range, resonances in cables and other similar statements - a great one too is the effect of cryogenic treatment. Lets all run our equipment in liqud nitrogen.

But it doesn't matter if those claims are based on evidence. As in politics and religion ( I am an agnostic who doesn't care about atheists - because they fight against god, I just don't give a ****) - if enough idiots believe it it becomes truth because actions are based on such believes.

Wonder if that puts me into the sin bin on an american forum!
Old 13th November 2004, 07:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Oh great, in america doodoo is forbidden - I love it. Great country, I am just glad I don't live there - and scared being a neighbour.
Old 13th November 2004, 07:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Did you know that the tightness of the jacket materials could change the sound?

Quote:
Originally posted by commstech

"Did you know that the tightness of the jacket materials could change the sound?

www.gutwire.com
If you are talking about male underwear....yes!
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.

Hide this!Advertise here!