Would like help to build amps for Vandersteen speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2002, 12:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Would like help to build amps for Vandersteen speakers

Hello everybody,

I have followed this forum for a while now and really enjoy reading all the very informative posts.

I just acquired 2 vandersteen CE speakers with a center vandersteen VCC.
The CEs are bi-amped and I need to find good amps for them.

I am totally new to electronics and I would say by analogy that my skills in electronics are as limited as changing oil in a ford festiva for a mechanic.( I hope that it's not too hard on a festiva :-)

I would like to build 4 singles amps for the main speakers and 1 other amp for the center channel.
Eventually, following with building 2 other amps for the rear channels and one for the subwoofer. (Dynaudio MW190)

I am looking for sound quality more than anything else.
I would think that 100W rms per channel would be plenty and would allow for a very low THD at lower volume.

I can solder fine and follow pcb layouts also.
I just need some help to find some good pcb layouts with all the component lists. well you see what I mean, basically almost a kit.

I have read the book from Randy Slone and even though very complicated for me, he seems to have some good ideas. Since my knowledge is very limited in the subject, I thought that all the masters here could put me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance,
I can't wait to hear your suggestions.

Arno.
Old 10th July 2002, 02:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default good choice in speakers

Arno,

I just heard these speakers this past weekend (with the subs, but no CC). They were powered by a Rotel integrated amp (60x2), and used a Linn Cd player. This setup sounded much better than anything else in the entire store (B&W, Arial, Linn, Levinson).

I think 100 watts will be a good amount to shoot for, but this 60 watt rotel was more than enough for a 25x15 room.

Good luck!
Old 10th July 2002, 02:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Matt,

Thank you for your reply.
I agree with you that 100watts should be overkill.
I was trying to have the minimum distorsion possible at reasonnable levels.

These speakers will also be used as main speakers in a home theater system and there is sometimes a need for power in some scenes.

My only reference so far with those speakers is a SONY receiver with 100watts rms channels. The volume potentiometer is usually around 1/3 of the way when I watch a movie.
(Keep in mind that I am using channelA/channelB to simulate bi-amp on the front speakers, which might not be the best idea anyway :-) + the center and rear channels (powering JBL columns).

Please keep the suggestions coming :-)
Thank you.
Arno.
Old 10th July 2002, 05:10 PM   #4
Apogee is offline Apogee  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Arno,

Build 4 channels of the Pass Labs Aleph series...

If you think your speakers sound good using what you've mentioned, you haven't really heard what they can do!!!

Just my $.02
Old 10th July 2002, 07:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Steve,

Thanks for the info.
I actually know that they can sound incredible from what I have read on the net. They already sound really great with the sony receiver I have and cannot wait to hear them with some real amp.

Any particular place where I could find more info on those amps ?

Thanks,
Arno.

Hide this!Advertise here!