Amplifier Project Cases

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Deltat

This may not be for everyone but;

I often pick up second hand rack mounted equipment from metal recyclers and equipment recycle yards. For example I picked a 3 RU case including the electronics inside for about $5 US. In this case it was a junked Intel switch.

I ripped out the electronics (nice stuff in there, power supply etc.), changed the front panel and added a good spray paint. In this case I removed the rack mounts.

Result = a higher quality case that even a fair bit of money can buy from the normal outlets and a fair bit of personal satisfaction.

Cheers

If it's a valve amp - nothing beats exotic woods and brass or copper plate :cool:

Attachments

• tubemicpreamp-3small.png
    tubemicpreamp-3small.png
    36 KB · Views: 632
For domestic tube amp applications I think it is most desireable to display the tubes. This eliminates most rack mount case designs.
The use of oiled hardwoods, etc. can really accent such designs in a beautiful way.

I took a pair of 55 year old Eico HF-20's and as part of the restoration/upgrade I made solid oak knobs and side panels for them. The original ugly perforated metal cover is gonzo. They look very nice now. The tube shields got polished since this photo was taken. ;)

Attachments

• eicohf20.jpg
    eicohf20.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 415
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.