Stereo cabnet fan?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I just bought a new TV stand with room for all my gear below. The problem is that there are glass doors on the front of the stand and my gear is not able to breath. I have already drilled 10, 2" holes along the back top part of the stand, but I'm looking for any idea's on how I can add a small fan to the back of the stand to suck the hot air out? Also, where might I buy a fan from?

-This looks like a great site, and yes I tried the search.

Cheers!

-Ryan

Fans

Fan control (and motion control) is a popular topic at Analog Devices, (amongst others) since they actually consume a bit of energy themselves, and the cost of controlling the speed to suit operating conditions is de minimis. Of course, Analog would like you to implement a solution which requires a college math degree. You could probably rig a sensor like the LM34Z to provide drive to an iinexpensive PWM chip like the LM3524, or a single-chip amplifier like an LM1875. Thus the fan's RPm, and hopefully thereby the volume of air, would be a function of temperature. The LM3524 would be a bit taxed in this situation, I think it's max current capacity is 200ma so you would need to drive the gates of a HexFET totem pole.

I am using the carcase of a computer power supply to run my laptop -- replaced the switcher with a linear supply and pass element. I kept the fan, and it's a darn good thing as the laptop, an ancient Presario, will draw 80 watts.

Fan controller

No necessity for a lot of work with PWM for fan control as I had suggested earlier. The AD22105 is available from Analog via Newark Electronics for $2.74 and uses ONE RESISTOR to adjust the setpoint. (You use the output to drive a transistor.) It also has a 4 degree celsius hysterisis so that the fan won't oscillate off and on. Here's a link to the PDF: http://www.analog.com/productSelection/pdf/ad22105.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.