Heathkit SW-717

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know what I would put this under. (I am totally new to this whole thing) So I put it here...anyway, I have a Heathkit SW-717 Shortwave radio, and the AM works, but the SW part doesn't pick anything up, I have a homemade 6 foot antenna, does anyone have any ideas as to what I should try?! Thanks :confused:

Have you got the manual? Heathkit were known for the completeness of their manuals. There should be lots of troubleshooting tips in there. You should be able to pick up something even with the short antenna.
Maybe there's a shortwave radio discussion group similar to this one somewhere...

paulb said:
Have you got the manual? Heathkit were known for the completeness of their manuals. There should be lots of troubleshooting tips in there. You should be able to pick up something even with the short antenna.
Maybe there's a shortwave radio discussion group similar to this one somewhere...

Yes, I do have the manual but I haven't really read it that much, so I'll check that out, thanks.:)

Hmm, the manual says (troubleshooting part)

'Background noise but no stations'
'A. No antenna connected for bands B, C, and D'
'B. Transistors Q1, Q2 installed incorrectly'
'C. Wires on lugs 1 or 2 of tuning capacitor BG shorted to chassis'

I think A would be the most likely, cause I can get stuff with AM on band A...

Does that make sense to anyone else, or am I way off? Heh...:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.