Where can I find good & affordable silver-plated OFC copper wires? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2004, 08:14 AM   #1
Mrpong is offline Mrpong  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Post Where can I find good & affordable silver-plated OFC copper wires?

Hello,

Where can I find good & affordable silver-plated OFC copper wire?
When I did a search on ebay, I found lots of silver-plated copper wires with mil. spec. Are they OFC? How nice sonic signatures do ther have?

http://search.ebay.com/silver-wire_C...sortpropertyZ1

Thanks
Old 21st October 2004, 09:07 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

ApexJr has some listed in various sizes and colours. I won't state my opinion of whether or not I think fancy wires affect the sound
Old 23rd October 2004, 04:11 AM   #3
james_b is offline james_b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 2 sources

2 online sites are www.WelborneLabs.com and www.PartsConnexion.com
Old 23rd November 2011, 03:11 PM   #4
kheng69 is offline kheng69  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Currently, am doing my diy amplifier.

I cannot make up my mind in chosing type of wire between 18awg/16awg, silver plated copper or tin plated copper for the entire wiring. What will be outcome after completion of my diy, the amp will sounded brightness or perhaps cleaner hi and lo or am not sure how it sounded like. Am hoping anyone from this forum has diy tried out and could give more advice of my diy. tq.
Old 23rd November 2011, 03:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I can measure the difference in distortion between silver wire and copper wire. Silver plated copper measures the same as copper.
Old 23rd November 2011, 07:05 PM   #6
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Afaik, all "teflon" insulated SPC wire is "oxygen free". Highest purity or monocrystalline copper is another matter.

Simon, we will have to disagree if your supposition is that they sound the same to the ear...

_-_-bear
Old 23rd November 2011, 08:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Afaik, all "teflon" insulated SPC wire is "oxygen free". Highest purity or monocrystalline copper is another matter.

Simon, we will have to disagree if your supposition is that they sound the same to the ear...

_-_-bear
If distortion measurements told the whole story designs would be much easier. I have found that silver plating yields measurements pretty much the same as plain copper. When I think it is important I use silver. Now if you want to send me samples of a silver plated whiz bang wire, I will not say no.
Old 24th November 2011, 05:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I own both pure silver (Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In 1m) and silver plated copper (Nordost Heimdal) interconnect cables. Both are terminated by WBT Next Gen RCA connectors, prices of both are close.
Listening impressions are MUCH better with pure silver cable, with the Heimdal I got an impression of highs being in temporal and level disbalance with the rest of sound, something resembling me an effect of Dolby B noise suppression system used previously in tape recorders.
Old 25th November 2011, 12:19 AM   #9
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Not to degenerate into an interconnect test debate, but unless the geometry of each interconnect is identical the comparisons may be confounded by more basic differences than the metals/wire used.

I have done this exact test (identical wire/identical geometry) and happen to agree with your report.

Simon, PM me?

_-_-bear
Old 25th November 2011, 01:32 AM   #10
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Second the Apex Jr. Vote. A very good source.

Hide this!Advertise here!