Where can I find good & affordable silver-plated OFC copper wires? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2011, 05:36 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The Teflon/silver over copper MIL-spec wire is widely used in aircraft manufacture.

It can be sourced as surplus almost anywhere in the world if you look in the right places. You can of course also buy it new but really there's no need since a sub-100 foot length is really of no use on an airplane where splices are not allowed, so it's always available in lengths suitable for audio use, from somewhere.

The silver is not there for electrical properties; it's a corrosion barrier. Aircraft also use tin or nickel coated copper wire for the same reason. Corrosion coatings are a big deal on aircraft since there are areas that cannot be reliably inspected on an in-service airframe; even the aluminum used for structure is zinc chromate coated.

Teflon is used for it's high thermal rating.

The MIL specs are fairly easily researchable; just Google* the number and you should get a quick answer to the spec it's built to adhere to.

* Google's tweaking of it's search algorithms seems to be affecting the usefulness of the results, so I find lately I need to use other search engines far more often. Oh well, it was a nice 10-year run.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 25th November 2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 28th November 2011, 02:22 PM   #12
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

MIL-Spec Wire Information - sponsored by Allied Wire & Cable, Inc.
Old 29th November 2011, 05:00 PM   #13
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

I like the Neotech 24awg solid copper for use in signal hookup.

Some may think it is fancy, but I just see it as good

But for a cheap wire the mil spec is nice enough, just don't do using thick wire for the signal path, 20awg at the thickest.

Last edited by data; 29th November 2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 1st December 2011, 07:52 PM   #14
kheng69 is offline kheng69  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

DIY amplifier, for the signal path what material be the best for the output?

silver plated copper, tin plated copper.... what awg/ mm2.

Hope someone can share. thank you.
Old 2nd December 2011, 03:32 PM   #15

I prefer the long draw copper in the Neotech I mentioned before, either the 24awg or 20awg.....i would maybe try each gauge and decide.
I don't like plated stuff...
Old 4th December 2011, 08:15 AM   #16
kheng69 is offline kheng69  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

hi data,

since am new in diy.

may i know the reason why use the 24awg or 20awg as standard...instead of 16 or 18awg?

how about the wiring for ac supply input to transformer, what will be the best wire size awg?

thank you in advance.
Old 4th December 2011, 09:30 AM   #17
mdm102 is offline mdm102  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpong View Post
Hello,

Where can I find good & affordable silver-plated OFC copper wire?
When I did a search on ebay, I found lots of silver-plated copper wires with mil. spec. Are they OFC? How nice sonic signatures do ther have?
Check eBay for Van Damme Instrument or Microphone SP OFC cables, amaizing cables for a little money
check official website fo specs Van Damme - Specifications - Pro Grade Classic XKE instrument cable
Old 4th December 2011, 10:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheng69 View Post
hi data,

since am new in diy.

may i know the reason why use the 24awg or 20awg as standard...instead of 16 or 18awg?

how about the wiring for ac supply input to transformer, what will be the best wire size awg?

thank you in advance.
I think the smaller wire works better for the transmission of higher frequencies, i don't know the tech' reasons... but I used a 1mm solid core to connect the coupling caps in my amp and I thought the caps ware pretty poor sounding (veiled and rolled off), but I thought about the wire I used and on a hunch changed it to that 24awg and Bang! all the missing detail was back

Not too sure on the aspects of wire used in AC application, I think the more important thing for a position like that is It's ability to handle the high power, but I do like the idea that electricity acts like water in a flow sense (I may get roasted here for this one), if the pipe is too small the flow will be constricted, obviously this doesn't work all the time like in my situation in the signal path

I have only been playing with DIY for a relatively short time myself

Last edited by data; 4th December 2011 at 10:56 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!