Using a momentary switch for main power switch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my pre/power amps so the enclosures are a bit less 'Ghetto' ;)

I have aquired a vandel proof switch with a built in LED which looks identical to the switch on the front of the Pass X1000 :D , the only problem is that it's momentary and has rather weedy ratings.

My question is this, how/where could I find a circuit to use this as a method of switching the main power on and off? My ideal solution would be to have the preamp on all the time, but have the momentary switch activating some 12v feeds on the back of the preamp, so I could turn those thirsty Zen's on and off remotely (they are in another room). A time delay would be nice too, as four channels worth of SOZ take quite a bit of inrush juice
:eek:

Thanks

Thanks alot ftorres, thats almost exactly what I was thinking of (idea, not schematic ;) )
Do you have to hold down the switch to turn it on/off, or do you just touch it? Additionally, does that give a 12v pulse or constant 12v.
Thanks again doods, I'll wait to see what AudioFreak comes up with before I build anything.

Just push the switch and release it. It produces a clock pulse that toggles the flipflop. 12V is not mandatory, just use above 3V and below 18V (for CMOS), and match your relay voltage to supply's. Pulse is available at the ff's clock input, and a constant level at the drain of the mosfet.

Hop, this helps :p

Sorry but i'm going to have to hit the sack.... i've fallen ill and I'm not up to doing this right now .... i'll post my solution in the morning... this is just going to have to wait i'm afraid.

As for logic, you can do it with just a few transistors a bunch of caps and resistors plus a few relays... i prefer to make the 'timer' myself rather than using a timed relay. Of course you can also do it with a couple of logic chips and indeed this is the way that it is done in all the computers, quick, cheap, stable, reliable it is but versatile it is not .... i'll leave you to work out which solution I prefer and yes it uses transistors ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.