Best place to use 2 Jupiter Bee caps in tube amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which would be a better place to utilize 2 Jupiter Beeswax capacitors in a tube amp?

Choice one: one each in the location between the right & left
RCA inputs and the dual volume control,

or choice two: one each between the plate of the driver tube and the grid of the output tube.

This is in a 4 tube pushpull pentode amp. Thanks for your opinions.

james_b said:
Which would be a better place to utilize 2 Jupiter Beeswax capacitors in a tube amp?

Choice one: one each in the location between the right & left
RCA inputs and the dual volume control,

or choice two: one each between the plate of the driver tube and the grid of the output tube.

This is in a 4 tube pushpull pentode amp. Thanks for your opinions.

James,
I'll go for 2nd option,because if you don't have DC at the output of your previous stage you can ommit input cap.Especially if you use attn. rather than pot!
Regards,
Yugovitz

Ebay those snake oil capacitors

Not so fast. These caps contain harmful substances (snake oils)that need to be disposed of in responsible manner. I am willing to do this for free as i already have experience with this vile brand. Pls send a pvt mail to arrange collection.

If you still feel brave to use them keep in mind their transparency is highly addictive and likely to cause long term dent in your audio budget.

caps

Its easy to ignore dimwits who post negative comments about a product they have no experience with, you know what they say about opinions (of the uninformed). Personally I have in the past upgraded to Jensen PIO caps and they were a definite improvement, so I am looking forward to trying the Jupiters.

Leaky wax caps!

Sch3mat1c said:
Hmmm...sounds expensive and dubious (think of all those leaky wax caps from old radios......). I say #3, e-Bay 'em for some 715P's.

Tim

It is interesting that many people claim wax caps(along with oil caps) can be leaky after long time of exploatation.How it is possible when,as far as I know,beeswax has dielectric constant close to that of PTFE!?

Regards,
Yugovitz

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I haven't tried the jupiters myself yet, but I have listened to an amplifier that used them, and I will say it was a pretty darn good sounding amplifier. I have been using the Jensen copper pio caps for some years now and haven't seen one fail yet. I think the Jupiters are worth trying, and bear in mind that all those "unreliable" wax/paper caps were usually decades old in most cases by the time they failed. Modern electrolytics often don't do a whole lot better... Just be careful not to overheat the leads when installing, and check dc leakage after installation. :)

The prob with the Jupiters is they appear to be very temperature sensitive and will become leaky if exposed to high temp over extended period of time. I have always been careful and never had a problem but realise that with a new brand, obviously not following the traditional technologies, long term reliabilty is unknown and probably much inferior than film types. The Jensen/Audionote seem to show a lot of reliabily problems after 5-6 years of use.

So, if you would like to treat your caps as a long term investment, buying russian teflons is probably a smarter move - no doubt they were designed to withstand atomic blast temperatures :)

Re: Leaky wax caps!

Yugo said:
It is interesting that many people claim wax caps(along with oil caps) can be leaky after long time of exploatation.How it is possible when,as far as I know,beeswax has dielectric constant close to that of PTFE!?

Ok, so WTH does K have to do with anything? Is glass then as bad as an electrolytic, simply because their K's are similar?

You sir clearly know nothing about capacitive materials. :rolleyes:

Tim

caps installed

Ive installed the 2 Jupiters in choice 2: between the plate of the driver tube and the grid of the output tube. They are below the circuit board, the tubes are on top, so not being in close proximity I don't think heat will be a problem I'll let everyone know if they melt. If they do, I'll try some teflons next.

I would keep the bee caps away from heat sources (like tubes), if they are anything like the old waxed paper caps. Teflon caps, as mentioned by others, might be a better choice next to the tubes, as they are more likely to withstand the heat if they are built properly. I can't vouch for the sound of either cap (haven't used 'em), so all I can do is wish you luck.

Re: Re: Leaky wax caps!

Sch3mat1c said:

Ok, so WTH does K have to do with anything? Is glass then as bad as an electrolytic, simply because their K's are similar?

You sir clearly know nothing about capacitive materials. :rolleyes:

Tim

Tim,
Yes,that's why I'm here and that's why I became a member of this great and the best forum on the net, to learn more,have fun and enjoy the fruits of my work when I build smth. I can't know everything,can I?I have modest knowledge and experience acumulated in my teenage years.I am not an expert in this field nor an engineer or a professional.This is only my hobby.So please Tim explain,is it the K which is responsible for the leakage,or maybe smth. else,the shape of the cap,geometry,winding.... Or should I put it,or should I have put it in another way:What is the reason when one cap is leaky and one is not when both have the same or very close dielectric constant(in this particular case very high number, between beeswax and PTFE)?Or maybe we should start a new thread!

Regards,
Yugovitz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.