mysterious magnet wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could someone reccomend a source for for high quality magnet wire. I hear that different types do make a difference, for example one respected source sells "20 gauge crystal copper six nines pure magnet wire" for $2.00 per foot. While another sells 100' for $20.00 bucks. I would like to hear any thots on this subject and where one may purchase quality magnet wire for hook up. Best - Stan

I have simple demands of magnet wire.

1. It must conduct electricity with reasonably low resistance along the conduction path.

2. It must not conduct electricity through the coating.

That being said, if you want to spend $20/foot on magent wire, be my guest. I'll sit here and laugh at you. Well, that's not true. I'll sit here shaking my head and thinking that P.T.Barnum was right...

Think about it. What you actually USE magnet wire for, you don't even want it to conduct without losses! You use it to make inductors and wind transformers. This is not highly sophisticated conduction we're talking about here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.