Rewinding an autotransformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2004, 02:16 AM   #1
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Rewinding an autotransformer

Can I rewind an autotransformer with only the wire that used to be on the "125V" tap and have that be sufficient impedance for the primary for a regular trasformer, with secondary wound over the primary? I know that bit of wire won't blow up my mains (having used it for a while) but am I missing something important here?

I am getting bits and pieces together for a BIG bench power supply. Thanks to DestroyerX et. al. and the rewinding transformers tutorial, I already redid the wall-wart that will power the panel meter.

Now I am on the main power transformer. This thing is a 1.5kVA porker previously used only to power a hammer drill that runs off 240V~. I opened it up and was not all that happy to see it was an autotransformer.

One side had taps for 100-110-125, the other for 160-220-240 and obviously there were 0V taps. I am thinking there is about enough room for about 62-0-62 windings on the bobbin on top of the 125 "primary"

~man~ that is a lot of juice!
Old 8th October 2004, 12:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Thanks alot for all the input guys...

Anyhow, I finished winding it up today. I'll be sure to test it with the GFCI power strip!
Old 13th October 2004, 12:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It LIVES!

I wired it up to a GFCI with some 24AWG leads so they would sublimate if the GFCI didn't catch a short first... Don't ask me how I know wire can sublimate...

Anyhow, I got the main secondaries within 20mV of each other thank God, at 52.8VAC, and there is another single tap at 32 volts and change.

Thanks again DestroyerX!
Old 13th October 2004, 04:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Be carefull or the Eurosissys will get upset about your little experiment not having the little CE sticker.
Old 15th October 2004, 05:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I can print up a sticker with part, serial and revision numbers with a CE logo on it at work if it would make anyone happy. Saaaay... That's not a bad idea anyway.

What, you mean a single fine strand of wire is not an acceptable substitute for a fuse?

Anyhow, I rigged up a minor blast shield just in case...the wire-vapor would have hurt nothing but my nerves.

Rest assured, the final product, whatever it may be that houses this beast, will have some SERIOUS safety precautions inbuilt.

Hide this!Advertise here!