best metal film resistors from DigiKey? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2004, 03:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default best metal film resistors from DigiKey?

The Vishay Dale RN55D metal film resistors seem to be sort of a de facto standard for good sonic fidelity for line/preamp/headphone amp type stuff, without getting all exotic.

Or at least, for puposes of this thread, let's say I feel these are a reliable standard of "good enough."

It's kind of a bugaboo that DigiKey doesn't carry them - a lot of times they're about the only thing I need to order from somewhere else. A separate shipping charge quickly outstrips the cost of a dozen or so resistors!

Does anyone have an opinion and/or experience, sonically speaking, on the Vishay Dale's versus the metal films that DigiKey does carry, like the Phoenix, Panasonic, or Yageo? Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka
Old 26th September 2004, 04:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Never used Phoenix, but never had a problem with Panasonic or Yageo.

The best metal resistors I have used though are from TRW - available at local electronic wholesalers.
Old 26th September 2004, 04:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I guess DigiKey doesn't carry those anymore?
How good are Beyschlag resistors from Digi-Key?
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 26th September 2004, 05:09 AM   #4
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

I think BC (carried by digikey) is part of Vishay. I don't know if that signifies anything with regards to quality or not.

I'm fomd of the miniture .40W 1% resitors you can get from digikey (and Mouser too) on the grounds that the higher rating reduces any thermal value changes. I believe there are also .60W 1%ers that fit in the foot print of standard sizes. Same theory. The theory may be bogus, but it's mine so I'm partial to it. What's life without theories?
Old 26th September 2004, 06:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm building Rod Elliots P101 and was planning on using the Vishay Dale RN55 but was unable to find any of their RN series that were 1/4watt and small enough to fit the PCB. Since I was buying my Panasonic FC's from Digi-key I decided to buy everything from a single source and ended up buying all Phoenix 1/4watt metal film resistors. Sadly I can't give any input on the quality of the Phoenix resistors as this will be my first time using them. The P101 has been known to not be very particular about the components used so I feel confidents that these will work just fine.

Also you have to buy in increments of 5 and they come in around $0.18 (US) a piece.
Old 26th September 2004, 03:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
In that case I would recommend Roderstein Resista resistors from percyaudio.com

They are only $0.25/pc. You can buy by a single piece and shipping should be very affordable.

I never tried those, but recently John Curl mentioned that those are his favourite resistors, suitable for high end applications.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 27th September 2004, 03:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I never tried those, but recently John Curl mentioned that those are his favourite resistors, suitable for high end applications.
First of all the Resista resistors where made by a Roederstein subsidiary untill recently.
Production is now done by Draloric.
While I've used Resistas 1/4W and 1/2W as gridleakresistors and gridstopper resistors in tube circuits on countless occasions and they're certainly excellent, I think that there are better resistors around nowadays albeit at a considerably higher price.

The Resistas were most popular among High-end manufacturers in the mid-eighties and were frequently seen in gear made by ML, Counterpoint etc.

Around the same period a survey was done by the folk at HiFi News, here's an excerpt with the results:

RESISTORS AREN'T FUTILE....

Cheers,
Old 27th September 2004, 03:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess DigiKey doesn't carry those anymore?
Did you ever get occasion to try/compare them, Peter?

They're not in the current catalog but searching the part numbers as Harvardian gave on that other thread reveals that they in fact have them in stock! For instance, BC3.32KZCT-ND is the # for a 3.32K. Replace corresponding numbers with desired value to find it. I've just added the 1.54K and 3.34K's that I need to my order The values seem to follow the same series as the RN55D, as seen for instance on this page. They are minimum quantity of $1.66 for 5 ($.33 each).

So... thanks Peter!

Killjoy99:
Quote:
...was planning on using the Vishay Dale RN55 but was unable to find any of their RN series that were 1/4watt and small enough to fit the PCB.
I haven't pored over the datasheets to verify, but my understanding is that the 1/8 watt rated of the Vishay Dale RN55 is at extreme temperature pertaining to the mil-spec. IOW, they easily dissipate as well as most 1/4 watt rated resistors. This also tallies with the fact that the V-D 1/8 watters' size are more like 'normal' 1/4 or .4 or even .6 watters. So, unless you expect them to get really hot, you can probably use the smaller '1/8 watt' V-D's.

Peace,
Sanaka
Old 27th September 2004, 03:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
So, unless you expect them to get really hot, you can probably use the smaller '1/8 watt' V-D's.
Indeed, they're exceptionally "sizeable" for their wattage.

Just a word of caution for tube builders though: don't be fooled by their size into thinking they'll survive HV rails over 300VDC safely.

Has anyone tried Beyschlag resistors?
To my ears these are even better sounding than Resistas or Dales and don't cost an arm and a leg either.

Cheers,
Old 27th September 2004, 03:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks fdegrove. I'm pretty sure I'll be stoked on the BC's

Have you tried other's from DigiKey like Phoenix, Yageo, Panasonic as well? Are they 'lower eschelon' compared with BC or Dale? I ask because since they don't have the BC's in the catalog anymore, it would seem that they might not carry them much longer. It would be cool to know if something else they carry is 'good,' or decent enough.

Peace,
Sanaka

Hide this!Advertise here!