Microwave transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can someone confirm the HV section of this transformer?

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41306&highlight=

I've searched under "microwave", and "microwave transformer" and haven't found my answer. I am currently reading some pages on rewinding as I found a post with about 20 or so links.

If anyone can answer any of the questions I have on the original post that would be great too.

I checked the rules and didn't see anything on cross posting treads, so I hope this is alright.

Steve

What appears to be 52V is supposed to be around 1200VAC. :hot: Wound of 24 to 28AWG wire (kinda thin; about 2000 turns). Most of the time, all connections are by 1/4" spade terminals (or whatever the metric equivalent is), possibly on wires instead of spades mounted on the windings, as you appear to have.

The winding (s1 I think you indicated), which is just three turns around the top, is for the magnetron filament. 3.15V at around 30A. The remaining winding (heavy wire, about 150-200 turns) is the primary.

For some reason I thought that was the HV secondary. The one I indicated as s1 & s3 measures 3.5 v. I didn't try before because my DMM is 500v ac max. I guess I'm lucky I didn't burn it up. Maybe the transformer went out? I salvaged it from a broken MW. So could I just grind off the top section I indicated as 52v and then just multiply the turns I have across s1-s3 by about 14 or so and rewind the top section? Or will it be different because it's wound on the core vs. around the primary. I think I could rewind the top without disassembly with so few turns. The TF hums slightly too, if your within a foot or so. Would taking it apart, recoating and reassembling it help?

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.