Microwave transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2004, 01:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Microwave transformer

Can someone confirm the HV section of this transformer?

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthrea...306&highlight=

I've searched under "microwave", and "microwave transformer" and haven't found my answer. I am currently reading some pages on rewinding as I found a post with about 20 or so links.

If anyone can answer any of the questions I have on the original post that would be great too.

I checked the rules and didn't see anything on cross posting treads, so I hope this is alright.

Steve
Old 24th September 2004, 04:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
What appears to be 52V is supposed to be around 1200VAC. Wound of 24 to 28AWG wire (kinda thin; about 2000 turns). Most of the time, all connections are by 1/4" spade terminals (or whatever the metric equivalent is), possibly on wires instead of spades mounted on the windings, as you appear to have.

The winding (s1 I think you indicated), which is just three turns around the top, is for the magnetron filament. 3.15V at around 30A. The remaining winding (heavy wire, about 150-200 turns) is the primary.
Old 24th September 2004, 04:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For some reason I thought that was the HV secondary. The one I indicated as s1 & s3 measures 3.5 v. I didn't try before because my DMM is 500v ac max. I guess I'm lucky I didn't burn it up. Maybe the transformer went out? I salvaged it from a broken MW. So could I just grind off the top section I indicated as 52v and then just multiply the turns I have across s1-s3 by about 14 or so and rewind the top section? Or will it be different because it's wound on the core vs. around the primary. I think I could rewind the top without disassembly with so few turns. The TF hums slightly too, if your within a foot or so. Would taking it apart, recoating and reassembling it help?

Steve
Old 24th September 2004, 07:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have 3 magnetron transformers and the secondary outputs a very dangerous 2000Vac at rated input voltage.
Don't try to measure without appropriate equipment !

For the rest the windings are described as by Sch3mat1c.

Dick.
Old 24th September 2004, 09:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I made sure I was at the end of a 10 ft cord when I plugged it in. I just fid it weird that the HV winding was only putting out 52 v.

Hide this!Advertise here!