Lead Free Solder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sch3mat1c said:
Thank God I'm not in UK. They can pry lead out of my cold, shivering, dead hands. I highly recommend buying about 100 pounds of Sn63, you won't regret it.

Tim

While a good idea in theory, problems...

You have to store it in a dry nitrogen environment..do not allow the external surface to age, as once it is really dull, ya might as well throw it out.

The flux will change over time...I don't know exactly why, but it does..it becomes rather inert and useless after a year or two..

Best bet???

Go to home depot, buy two sheets of two inch thick styrofoam.

Make an insulated box, four sheet thicknesses at the bottom and all sides, and a like sized top..outer box, make outta 3/4 ply..

Coat all the insides with copper flashing, folded as needed and soldered at any seams...make the box watertight.

Then, fill the box with your solder stock..

Then, fill the box with liquid nitrogen..cover all the solder with it, then put the cover on.

Just re-fill it every coupla days..your solder will remain fresh for 30 to 50 years...(YMMV)

Cheers, John

Magura said:
According to my experience you can store solder for more than 15 years under regular room conditions.

I have a roll of 0.5mm solder that I don't use often, this roll is now at least 15 years old. I used it as late as last week, and it worked like the day it was bought.

Magura:)

Same for me. I'm currently using solder that my dad has had since before I was born (im 17). It has been on the shelf of many garage shelves in a very wide range of temperatures and rediculous humidities.

It works just fine.

Geeze, looks like I'm the only one

who has had a problem with solder that has aged...

I guess I'm just a NQO...non qualified operator..:bawling:

Seriously, I have been in situations where the solder I was using was old, and didn't work at all. I blame the flux for that, lead oxide second culprit...when I tried going further into the roll, like two or three layers in, it still didn't work. Making me blame the components, till I switch to a new roll of solder, then it works like a charm..

Also have seen plumbing flux age, raising holy heck..again, switching to new can of same brand fixed it..

And, don't get me started about those nickel plated anythings...once they age a bit, major headaches, especially if you try to use R core tin silver..you might as well be using a hammer..

Cheers, John

No, John, you're not the only one who has a preference for fresh solder over the aged kind. I do a fair bit of production and production overseeing, and it certainly appears to me that new solder is easier to work with (flows faster and wets better for less heat input) and delivers nicer-looking results, especially when doing hand-soldering of SMD components. You can still do a good job with older solder, but it requires more care and concentration.

I also like to replace the solder iron tips at fairly regular intervals - for similar reasons. It is simply easier to make nice-looking joints when doing fine soldering if the tip is not too old.

regards, jonathan carr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.