Lead Free Solder - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2004, 06:12 AM   #11
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

96% tin, 3.5% silver and 0.5% copper would be my preference for lead free solder.
Old 24th September 2004, 03:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Geeze, looks like I'm the only one

who has had a problem with solder that has aged...

I guess I'm just a NQO...non qualified operator..

Seriously, I have been in situations where the solder I was using was old, and didn't work at all. I blame the flux for that, lead oxide second culprit...when I tried going further into the roll, like two or three layers in, it still didn't work. Making me blame the components, till I switch to a new roll of solder, then it works like a charm..

Also have seen plumbing flux age, raising holy heck..again, switching to new can of same brand fixed it..

And, don't get me started about those nickel plated anythings...once they age a bit, major headaches, especially if you try to use R core tin silver..you might as well be using a hammer..

Cheers, John
Old 24th September 2004, 04:41 PM   #13
jcarr is offline jcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

No, John, you're not the only one who has a preference for fresh solder over the aged kind. I do a fair bit of production and production overseeing, and it certainly appears to me that new solder is easier to work with (flows faster and wets better for less heat input) and delivers nicer-looking results, especially when doing hand-soldering of SMD components. You can still do a good job with older solder, but it requires more care and concentration.

I also like to replace the solder iron tips at fairly regular intervals - for similar reasons. It is simply easier to make nice-looking joints when doing fine soldering if the tip is not too old.

regards, jonathan carr

Hide this!Advertise here!