New version volume controls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am "resurecting" my interest in Hi-Fi DIY so beg forgiveness for this question as I am somewhat "out of date".
I notice that many pieces of audio equipment now have "infinite" turn volume controls which I assume work by providing some sort of "pulse" to a volume control chip. Does anyone have any reference to these chips/circuits and volume controls (in other word where can I get?).
One of the major weaknesses with the old type of "pot" was that the track would eventually wear out and I see these newer types as a big step forward.

Regards,

These devices are binary encoders, most commonly two-bit encoders. You need a digital circuit to keep track of position/direction and a separate device to control volume.

Ultimately the sound quality will depend upon the volume control device. For cheaper applications there is a variety of digitally controlled 'pots' with reasonable sound quality (CS3310,PGA2310,WM8816). For top qualty, a relay-operated switched attenuator can also be controlled by a binary encoder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.