-: Best audio OpAmps :-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ryssen

OPA604 is too dark and rough. It doesn't have any precision or details.

LME49710 is very good. Extremly detailed and clear. But sometimes I am missing the heart of music. But nevertheless better than some solid state preamps I've heard and compared e.g. Myryad MP100 (which has a OPA2604 as DC servo).

I spend far too much time reading spec sheets, and far too little time listening to music. So please take this with a grain of salt.

It seems to me people keep asking this question "what's the best?" without adding the 3 crucial words... "for this application". Then there's the unstated question of "what sound am I looking for?".

A video op amp that works well as a line level buffer may not be the right chip to use in a high gain phono stage, where you need high open loop gain. What are the source impedances? A FET input chip may be noisier than a good bipolar device in many circuits. What are the load impedances? Some devices are better at driving low-Z loads or capacitive loads than others. Then there's the question of how much power supply current is available - especially important with battery powered portable equipment.

There's more to it than just the "greatest hits" list.

Hmm,I kinda like the TLO72/82's...had good experiences with them.
(replacing 4558's mostly,and in a few sub X-over projects)

Built a CMoy with the OPA2132/2134,both seem like good general-use op-amps.

I will say,the Op-amps that are the BANE of my existence: LM741 and LM324.

Not only are they noisy,but I can never seem to keep them stable,or keep them from picking up local radio stations. :xeye:
I've never had such issues with any other op-amps. :dodgy:

Hi,

I used happily the OPA 604/2604 extensively in Preamp-, Phono- and crossover-circuits and never experienced ´dark and rough´ sound. Maybe because I design the surrounding circuits, components and layouts myself instead of just changing one OP against the other and basically know what and why I do it! ;) Imo this is much more important than the simple change of OP-type, because most sonic flaws within a circuit rely not to those simple small ´black boxes´.
The 604/2604 are quite easy to design with, giving seldomly trouble with oscillation or other effects. This makes them ideal workhorses for a lot of different applications.

But the best sounding OPs are still built discrete style using JFets ;)

jauu
Calvin

Hi all,

I was plagued with the same question what I really wanted to know was which op amp was going to make my system sound the best,SO here's what I did,I got samples of everyone I had read was a great op amp.......I bought a dac from china that had two op amps in it,and proceeded to switch out and make notes as to what did what,my conclusions are real simple everyone changed something,treble better,or mids ,or bass,
so I say get some op amps and listen to your setup because each system IS different from system to system ,Input to output all systems are not the same.so is the sound out to YOUR ears.
I have wondered if you put 3 opamps in series then you could have the best of the op amps,then you could choose each one,in a single channel setup.
I have a 4 way active system and I put the op amp I like to hear where it works the best,
I did find to my amazement some where very different from each other in sound,and some common ones beat out the expensive ones,lol.
So set up a test bed and see what you like!
Happy Listening,
No Smoking

Wow,
I'm kind of appalled at the number of times I see people talking about rolling OpAmps in and out of a device and drawing conclusions about how this one is better than that one, and that one has better dynamics then the other one... Blah, Blah, Blah. It's not that simple people! You can't just arbitrarily throw an OpAmp in a random circuit and expect to get the most out of it. But sometimes luck happens, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Every OpAmp has attributes that will work good in one application but not so good in another, it has to be the right one for the job, and it has to have the circuit it's used in designed around it. Things like power supply de-coupling, impedance level, signal level, noise level, etc. all have to be considered, and will be different for every one.
There is no "best" OpAmp, just as there is no "best" shirt, or car, or anything else.
OK, rant over.

Mike

Hi Peteramp!
I like to try new or old Op Amps too!
So I must ask where are you using tloxxxx amps and what type power supply. type caps ,and compensation,Did you hear these or Test them ? type amps and speakers,source? I am using a middle of the road(HD280Pro's)headphones to test op amps they don't color as much as my speakers and I set the spectrum flat before I listen and sound differences do show up,lol.
Not putting you on the spot here,ok? Just after better sound,lol.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Hi noSmoking,
I've used TL0XX's in things such as Audio Research SP-9, Marantz CD63 cdp, and they ALWAYS give an unfailingly sweet sound. One thing is for sure, it's NS (National Semiconductor) types that always sound best.TI (Texas Instruments), ST etc are mainly thinner and harder sounding. I have very revealing 4 way 'speakers (hand made), and changes like substituting op amps, wire, caps are easily discernible. I'm awaiting some 825's with so-called 'pass transistors', I'm not fussed if they will improve on what's already in, but I do like to try a variety of combo's, as if you don't, you will never know. Now, did anybody order a drink...is that with one ice cube or two, fancy or non fancy glass (tubegod, are you there)?

Bottoms up,
peteramp

Last edited:
Hi peteramp.
I haven't tried tlo but I have a bunch of tlo 71 and 72's that I will try,
I have a box that has 2 of most op amps in it. I have found some opamps sound better in different circuits,so I change out until I find the ones I like, I bought a dac and use the dips on it to test most opamps ,it gives a good indication of what the end result is, Less ice in that drink,more room for booze,lol.

Wow,
There is no "best" OpAmp, just as there is no "best" shirt, or car, or anything else.
OK, rant over.

Mike
Not to be a pedant, but there can be a "best" if you narrow down the application enough (and of course each different application will have a different "best"). For example:
Thoughts about:
MC33078
MC33178
LS204
LF442
Intented do make a onboard (2 x 9v battery)bassguitar preamp/eq .
I'm thinking the sound difference between opamps would be pretty much inaudible in this application (unless one starts oscillating from directly driving the capacitive cord between the bass and the amp - that'll sure sound different). Since battery life is presumably important, I'd pick the one with the least current draw. I'd also put a "buildout" resistor between the output and the instrument cable jack..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.