-: Best audio OpAmps :-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
best opamp

I have no real "best opamp" but will relate the following;
I have an Arcam Alpha 5 cd player with some of the usual mods, NOS, recaps and diodes. The original opamps are a op27 and 5534 per channel. I have tried to clean up the PS feedlines as best I can with a few beads and inductors.

I just replaced the op27 with an AD797. I put in sockets also. What I can say is the sound stage is wider and much more 3d. The mids for some reason have warmed, while retaining the nice highs. It also seperated the instruments/vocals, you hear each singer as an individual. I also have some slight fuss that accompanies the signal and am now trying to sort that out. But the AD797 will stay. The op27 has low noise with a 2.8v/us slew rate. I think that while this is supposed to be fast enough, the 20v/us quieter ad797 is a better choice for this player.

Oh geesh, I forgot about this thread :(

Circlotron said:

Why would a TL074 not be as good as a TL072?
Are all four sections of a TL074 equally bad?
Is one half of a TL072 better than the other? :dodgy:

No silly, it's just I usually need one or two sections at a time. Too many past circuits I made, like bias servo's, use 1 section of a 324 and three go unused.

Have you guys tried the new National LM 4562 ????

A lot of the guys over in the CD63 thread (longest non spamm thread there is lol) are raving over this 8pin dil, superb sound over all the other op amps that a lot of them have tried. It should be available soon as we have samples, it certainly sounds damn good in the cd63 ki player.

Dennis

Tried LM4562 - OPA627 still wins for me

I tried LM4562 smd version for a couple days in my DAC. The OPA627BP is by far better for my taste.

Mind you I was running it at +/- 18 volts. The supply caps and bypass caps were fully broken in. To me it was a very fair test.

I was using them as a buffer after a passive I/V stage in a NOS NF USB TDA1543 DAC.

The OPA627 really shines in this arrangement. It makes the music have a golden glow vs. the very clear by sterile sound of LM4562.

Just my 2 cents.

I also tried the new OPA211 and it didn't have any good qualities.

Cheers,
Brent

When your running the LM4562's try configuring some Blackgates right across the supply pins of the opamps, say 22uF with suitable voltage for the supplies.

I havnt tried the other opamps yet, still looking for some suitable burrbrowns for my CD63ki.

We have found that not all people have the same results, often because of either what follows the op amp, or precedes it such as the pre amp. I think as anything its finding the right balance and synergy in your system.

Just for consideration tho, over in the CD63 mods thread, we all gave the LM4562 top marks in the CD63, it performed well and is easy for most of the guys to fit also, removeing the HDAM and other clutter after it really brings it out.

If anyone has a suitable set of burr browns, or burr browns on brown dogs goin cheap for the Marrantz CD63, let me know.

Dennis

Take the 627 BP is it is affordable ... tried all but this one could not be beaten...
Tried in a low cost marantz c. d. player did not show all his qualities.
So what components are around and other details...current a.o. are supporting the opa is my main guideline.

What is the cost of the 627 BP ?

Farnell lists the 627 i think for around £16 uk currency.

When implementing the op amp, you really need to consider its supply rails, The power supply is crucial to the op amp, fitting some local smoothing at the op amp pins helps, but a good supply source is essential to get the best from the op amp. If the DC supply is poor the results from the op amp will also be poor, however, the cheaper opamp may have coped with the poor supply. Experiment !

In the CD63 range of units the cheap op amp (2114) is helped by the HDAM circuit, effectivly a buffer. This for example holds back the quality of the audio. So if you fit a op amp you do need to consider the available power supply, the output path, and then the interconnects start to affect things in the case of a cd player, cant comment on the pre amp situation.

ImSparticus said:
Farnell lists the 627 i think for around £16 uk currency

A word from the curator:

This is what i paid for OPA627s at Thel's in Germany in 1992, about £ 8.60 at the current exch. rate.
At local shops i could order both AP and BP versions 14 years ago, but for a cost exceeding GB£16.
Nowadays i regularly buy batches of OPA627BP versions for £ 5.50 the piece, APs and 637s for less, relatively speaking 16 pounds at Farnell's isn't that bad.

Attachments

• thel opa627.jpg
    thel opa627.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,172
Hi, I have not heard different opamps, but hoping someone can recomend some for me to try. I'm looking for opamp to use as voltage amplifier to drive a buffer IC in an amplifier. I'm trying to find opamp that is most transparant and neutral and also detailed.

Someone already suggested AD811 for detail. Also, LM6171 / 6172 looks good. Would they be a good place to start? Any others?

As has been said earlier in the thread, it really does depend on the application.

For example, the LM6171 sounds excellent as the opamp immediately after the DAC in a CD63. Why?, it's topology is fully balanced and and suits the balanced output from the DAC.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.