Black gate availability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Folks,

I will also be putting this post in chip amp forum as well. Please forgive the redundancy. I was visiting the Audio Note UK web site and I found a disturbing note regarding Black Gate caps. Please visit the http://www.audionote.co.uk/ Audio Note site and click the Black Gate hyperlink. I have no association with Audio Note UK other than I have bought their products.

The note from Peter Qvortrup (AN UK founder) indicates that Rubycon (Black Gate manufacturer) will be ceasing production. I believe the AN UK is one of the largest consumers of Black Gates out there and it should be valid info.

I am not sure of how to encourage Rubycon (manufacturer) and / or Jelmax (worldwide distributor) corporations into contiunuing production and R&D. I am just starting my first GainClone and would like to have access to these great products in the future.

Please let us discuss this issue.

Take Care, Bill

It is possible that BGs will go out of production. It is not certain.
There are so many different scenarios I imagine, but they all
break into three:
1.) BGs go out of production, world market dries up, price increases for NOS BGs
2.) BG does not go out of production, but another cap manufacturer (say, ELNA) picks up license for manufacture--BG quality is the same or changes (better or worse), price remains
same or different--many sub-variables here.
3.) After scare period, Rubycon continues production. Jelmax has sold an enormous amount of BGs to stockpilers.

Politically speaking, what is to do?
Protest (or good old fashioned boycott) of Rubycon would be negligeable, since audio market is very small portion of its customer base
If you cannot afford to stockpile all the BGs you will need for your future projects (but then there is shelf life issue) I would advise sending your distributor a personal "critical BG list" as many of them are placing very large orders to keep them in stock for the next 2 or 3 years.

It is however dreadful to think of a world without BGs...
like thinking of a world without oil.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.