What size core for choke?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I assume that I wind all layers in the same direction (say clockwise), but that it doesn't matter if I'm winding from left to right on one layer (along the bobbin) and from right to left on the next one, so I don't have to cross after each layer to get back to the left side?

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Due to the thickness of the plastic bobbin and paper-impregnated-with-nailpolish insulation between each layer (at turn on before the subsequent capacitance is charged the choke will see the full voltage across it), I'm expecting about 540 turns -- I've got five layers at around 54 turns each, and I think I can fit another five. Due to the less turns I'll use only one sheet of heavy paper and nail polish for the gap (and the stacks are not quite perfectly aligned anyway.

As long as I have at least 3 H in the end it should be OK.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I got about 550 turns with all the insulation, so I made the gap a bit smaller. Resistance measures at 8 Ohms, and the simulator shows only a couple of Watts are dissipated in the application, so I guess it won't get hot enough to burn the paper insulation :hot:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.