Non-polar Black Gate capacitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2004, 09:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Non-polar Black Gate capacitors

I read recently (on one of these forums I think) that although Black Gate N etc are non-polar, there is nevertheless an "ideal" way of wiring them; i.e. long leg or short leg to earth. I can't remember which way was suggested, and I've done the search thing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Cheers!
Old 9th September 2004, 03:04 PM   #2
ainami is offline ainami  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been told the short leg should be used as the negative terminal. I believe the polarized black gates also define the short leg as negative.

-Aaron
Old 9th September 2004, 03:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
There is no right or wrong way with doing it, just personal preferrence.

Short pin marks the start of the foil, and I prefer to have the outer foil on the ground (at least with positive supply).

Accordingly, I prefer to have the outer foil on signal output.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 9th September 2004, 07:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

Short pin marks the start of the foil, and I prefer to have the outer foil on the ground (at least with positive supply).

Accordingly, I prefer to have the outer foil on signal output.

Thanks Peter. So the start of the foil is NOT the outer foil?
Old 9th September 2004, 07:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by falcott

Thanks Peter. So the start of the foil is NOT the outer foil?
That would be my understanding but even if it's not the case, long lead on ground (with pos supply) sounds better to me. I tested it extensively in a DAC.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th November 2005, 07:04 PM   #6
Iliya is offline Iliya  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Over weekend I was experimenting with N type 4.7uF 50V caps.
I was comparing a dielectric absorption of N type to F type in different connections. I have found that N type caps are somewhat directional. With connection of short leg to plus and long leg to minus of a 6V battery DA is much higher, almost double in comparison to the oposite polarity connection. I measured 21-24mV and 11-13mV respectively.
Old 16th November 2005, 07:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

There some info (and some seriuos claims)
on their site :
http://www.blackgate.jp/ebg6.htm

Just my 0.01$

(no thread's complete without a noob postin a link ehh )

/ Kenny
Old 18th November 2005, 06:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here is the part of that advertisement.

"What is the "Super-E-Caps"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A pair of nonpolarized Black Gate electrolytic capacitors are particularly connected in parallel or in series so that each one of the capacitors cancels the internal magnetic flux generated by the other, thereby completely eliminating internal resonance and decreasing total impedance to absolute zero as the frequency increase."

I have tried parallel (aka Super-E-caps)and serial connections of N type caps. Again I have tested them for dielectric absorption.
Parallel connection have not produce any visible improvements , however serial connection gave reduction in DA about 10-15% .
In addition to that two N type caps connected in serial like
S-L-L-S or L-S-S-L seem to have no direction (polarity) any more.
Old 18th November 2005, 12:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iliya
Here is the part of that advertisement.

"What is the "Super-E-Caps"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A pair of nonpolarized Black Gate electrolytic capacitors are particularly connected in parallel or in series so that each one of the capacitors cancels the internal magnetic flux generated by the other, thereby completely eliminating internal resonance and decreasing total impedance to absolute zero as the frequency increase."

That is, without any doubt, the most unadulterated piece of pure marketing BS I have seen in a long time. It was written by an idiot.

Teach them a lesson. Don't buy the product.

I_F
Old 25th November 2005, 09:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Teach them a lesson. Don't buy the product.
First of all it's kind of late to do that as Black Gate caps are no longer made. The second I have mesured them (F-type and N-type) and found that their DF is much lower than other brands including famous Nichicon Muse KZ and Panasonic FC. For example F-type 4.7uF 50V have DF of only 1.5-1.6%. That's really low for electrolytic cap. No doubt about it. The DA of Black Gate caps also measured somewhat lower but not that significantly. So the conclusion is that the BG caps are better. Does their quality justifies their price? That's another matter.

The reason I have placed my findings here on the forum is to learn opinions of other members about use of N-type BG caps. Another question I have if the serial connection of polar BG (FK) caps is equal/better/worse than a non-polar caps (N).

Hide this!Advertise here!