Dip switches for the attenuator? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2004, 03:14 PM   #1
mgmopar is offline mgmopar  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dip switches for the attenuator?

Hi, I haven't found this question on the forum. I am figuring someone might of tried this, instead just going with it. I would first get opinions. I am running a multi amp set up and will only need a limited gain control for set up. I plan on having the access to the attenuator inside the case. I first of thought about the use of dip switches or secondly using jumpers such as on computers to select the gain. I would think this would be good but these switches and jumpers were not intended for the audio signal. Will the signal loose significant quality threw such switches? Has anybody done this in the past are their any good PCB designs already tried?
Old 6th September 2004, 03:43 PM   #2
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

The ESP P88 pre-amp uses dip switches to set the gain. Details are not shown on the P88 web site but are in the instructions for when you buy the PCB. There is a pic though..... have a look at figure 6.

http://sound.westhost.com/project88.htm
Old 6th September 2004, 04:00 PM   #3
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Most high quality DIP switches are good. I have never had any problem with a DIP switch in industrial environment. Jumpers are also rather good, especially those which are gold plated.

I use a type which has a small tab so you more easily can can pull them off.
Old 6th September 2004, 04:05 PM   #4
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If you configure it as a shunt attenuator then I think it would work very well. Try switches closest to ground if you think it will be audible.

Pass Aleph P 1.7 uses DIP switches to configure gain AFAIK and then even in the signal path.
Old 6th September 2004, 04:43 PM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

The P88 pre-amp I built I used gold plated jumpers instead of dip switches. Cheaper and better IMO than the dip switches I could get.
Old 6th September 2004, 08:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for all the input,

I feel confidant now that good dip switches or jumpers will work fine.

Quote:
If you configure it as a shunt attenuator then I think it would work very well. Try switches closest to ground if you think it will be audible
From my understanding the shunt style design will change my input impedance and I really do not what to do that, it may affect other areas of my system. Although, I could make it very compact with the ability to activate more then one resistor at a time.

The attenuator will only have to control say the upper 1/3 of the volume. Just balancing the level this amp to another used at a different frequency. I figure a 8 or 10 place dip would be fine. I don't believe the ladder design would give me a benefit due to extra contact points. I think I am going with the series design with a resistor from the last switch (or jumper) to ground to achieve my final range and input impedance.
Old 6th September 2004, 10:14 PM   #7
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mgmopar

--snip--
From my understanding the shunt style design will change my input impedance and I really do not what to do that, it may affect other areas of my system. Although, I could make it very compact with the ability to activate more then one resistor at a time.
--snip--
Sure. It would and if you feel that it may affect things then choose another scheme. I wouldn't mind.
Old 8th September 2004, 02:24 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

UrSv
I Don't have anything against the shunt design, But with the multiple amps I feel I would want the input impedance to be stable, so an adjustment on the gain of one doesn't effect others. If will also allow a more stable environment for my preamp to operate. Thanks for the good word on DIP switches.

Anything in particular to stay away from or look for when getting DIPs for audio use?

Hide this!Advertise here!