"Topaz Ultra Isolator" - power plug question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2004, 05:44 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

You can buy a topaz, and hook it up to supply balanced power. If you do, you will only get 1/2 of it's rated output.

Randy
Old 3rd September 2004, 06:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I've read that elsewhere too. It might make sense to go straight to a ~ 2kVA unit if I want to do that. I was initially thinking of only putting my audio system on it, but my subwoofer is shared with the HT gear, so I guess it's kinda pointless to put some gear behind an isolation transformer if there is one shared ground path that's not isolated. Or I could unplug the sub from the HT stuff.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 3rd September 2004, 06:51 AM   #13
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

"You can buy a topaz, and hook it up to supply balanced power. If you do, you will only get 1/2 of it's rated output."

Most of the Topaz (or other ultra isolation) transformers I have seen do not have tapped secondaries. I'm not sure how you are creating a balanced (center tapped) secondary. A little explanation would help.

You can force an AC balance with a pair of closely matched caps on the output. The center will be the common connection that you would tie to ground. If the caps are well matched and 5 to 10 uF you will probably get a better balance and definately lower noise that you would any other way.

The current consumption of the caps will be essentially free because its pure reactive. Be sure to fuse the system, so a shorted cap (the usual failure mecanism) won't kill your power. Or you can use X caps but they have a higher ESR.

However with an ultra isolation transformer the balanced story doesn't really help. You start with less than .001 pF coupling from in to out. Adding any connections to ground will degrade this and you end up with more noise.

(Some real trivia: the 3 prong parallel blade connector is technically known as a NEMA 5-15P. However no one calls it that, and asking for one at Home Depot will get you a blank stare.)

-Demian
Old 3rd September 2004, 06:57 AM   #14
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg
Quote:
Originally posted by 1audio

(Some real trivia: the 3 prong parallel blade connector is technically known as a NEMA 5-15P. However no one calls it that, and asking for one at Home Depot will get you a blank stare.)

-Demian
asking a LOT of things at home depot will get you a blank stare...
Old 8th September 2004, 06:56 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"You can buy a topaz, and hook it up to supply balanced power. If you do, you will only get 1/2 of it's rated output."

Most of the Topaz (or other ultra isolation) transformers I have seen do not have tapped secondaries. I'm not sure how you are creating a balanced (center tapped) secondary. A little explanation would help.

-Demian
I bought a topaz off of Ebay, and it had a center tapped secondary, so it was easy to make it balanced.
There are posts on it on the tweak section of audioasylum, that's where I found out about it, and where I found advice on how to wire it up.

Randy
Old 8th September 2004, 07:13 AM   #16
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

I understand now. You were using a 220 tapped secondary. And that explains the loss of capacity. However even the 220 units don't always have taps. If you need to pay for shipping one of these you should be sure of its configuration. They are all heavy.

-Demian
Old 8th September 2004, 03:09 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I understand now. You were using a 220 tapped secondary. And that explains the loss of capacity. However even the 220 units don't always have taps. If you need to pay for shipping one of these you should be sure of its configuration. They are all heavy.

-Demian
Yeah, I was going to say I paid more for shipping than I did for the topaz.

Randy

Hide this!Advertise here!