amp delay for speaker out - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2004, 08:43 PM   #1
nucleus is offline nucleus  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Default amp delay for speaker out

I realy need help with this one!
I have been trying to find a schematic for ampdelay that can operate on a 2x39V, from transformes made for amplifier. The only schematc i have foud is on the picture.
I tried to put the voltage down with resistor which turned out to be very unstable.
My standard is to take voltage from a amplifiers transformer because if something go wrong than fuses on a secundar (always simetrical) blowes, so the relay for speakers instantly shut of the speakers.
Is this ok, or am i just the only one that uses this kind of a "ampdelay"?
Attached Images
File Type: gif ampdelay.gif (3.2 KB, 207 views)
Old 1st September 2004, 12:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Basic circuit is fine, but to run on a higher voltage, put the resistor in series with the RELAY coil, not entire circuit. I would also decrease the size of capacitor C1 to 47uF or so to ensure relay drops out quick when power is turned off. I would also feed R1 from the amp's +ve DC supply rail so that time delay starts AFTER the DC rails have risen.

BTW a higher voltage transistor may also be in order.

Cheers
Old 3rd September 2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Cortez is offline Cortez  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Check this IC: uPC1237 !
Old 3rd September 2004, 01:59 PM   #4
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would also feed R1 from the amp's +ve DC supply rail so that time delay starts AFTER the DC rails have risen.
For convenience, this may be true, but for safety it is considered neccessary to feed it from an AC supply rail. Wouldn't the DC reservoir capacitors keep the DC rail voltage too high for too long, so that the shut down (relay turn-off) would come too late... ?

The solution here is not to measure startup at a later point in the sequence, but to increase the circuit's time constant for it's turn-on (and care for a quick turn off).

Sebastian.

PS: Nucleus, what if the other rail fuse blows first? Wouldn't your configuration keep the relay turned on until the second fuse gets a reason to blow too (e.g. huge DC current through the speaker, burnt/shorted output tranistor)? Just a thought.
Old 4th September 2004, 01:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sek
For convenience, this may be true, but for safety it is considered neccessary to feed it from an AC supply rail. Wouldn't the DC reservoir capacitors keep the DC rail voltage too high for too long, so that the shut down (relay turn-off) would come too late... ?

While the DC rail, and hence the base voltage, would be held up at switch off, the separately fed supply to this circuit will drop fast (provided the smoothing cap is small) dropping out the relay.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!