Help: Nichicon Muse Cap replacement suggestion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2004, 06:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help: Nichicon Muse Cap replacement suggestion

I have an old 1992 Theta Pro Basic 3 D/A which uses Nichicon Muse Electrolytic Caps throughout. I am thinking updating these electro caps (mostly 2200uf, 4700uf and 47uf.) Should I replace them with the same Nichicon Muse caps, Panasonic FCs or other decent/affordable caps you can suggest? Which one will sound better? I know Blackgate supposed to be the best but I don't want to spend few hundred $ for an outdated d/a. Thank you very much for you input in advance.
Old 28th August 2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Perhaps you would consider a Simple Bypass arrangement.
Using Film 'n foils your preference, but size may be an issue,
you would halve the ESR of the existing Caps.. a Good thing :-) and this will give performance potential far in advance of a simple Black Gate install.
Save a bit of $$ too.
Old 28th August 2004, 12:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Help: Nichicon Muse Cap replacement suggestion

Quote:
Originally posted by analogdiy
I have an old 1992 Theta Pro Basic 3 D/A which uses Nichicon Muse Electrolytic Caps throughout. I am thinking updating these electro caps (mostly 2200uf, 4700uf and 47uf.) Should I replace them with the same Nichicon Muse caps, Panasonic FCs or other decent/affordable caps you can suggest? Which one will sound better? I know Blackgate supposed to be the best but I don't want to spend few hundred $ for an outdated d/a. Thank you very much for you input in advance.
I would go for Panasonic FC caps. I extensively compared Nichicone Muse and Panasonic FC, and while Nichicons are not that bad, Panasonics are simply more musical. Nichicons have more open top end, but sound less involving and more mechanical comparing to Panasonic FC.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 28th August 2004, 12:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by Bare
and this will give performance potential far in advance of a simple Black Gate install.
Save a bit of $$ too.
I never found it "far in advance". In coupling applications I actually prefer BG type N to Hovlands and Jensen caps, not to mention Wimas and ERO.

I modded Shanling and used 2 x 220U BG STD (back to back) bypassed by Auricaps and it actually didn't sound bad (but again, I did not compare it to other types).
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 31st August 2004, 11:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I agree with Peter.

Also, many suppliers (including Digikey) are carrying the Panasonic FM series. Voltage only to 50V, and not many values under 220f (but a decent selection of larger values).

Have not tried them yet, but specs say 50% lower ESR than the FC's and up to 50% higher ripple current. Sounds like something to investigate.
Old 31st August 2004, 04:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

When you said you compared the Panasonic FC series with Nichicon Muse, I assume you mean Nichicon top of line Muse KZ series? If so, I will be ordering the Panasonic FC now.

Thank you all for your input.

Hide this!Advertise here!