Help: Nichicon Muse Cap replacement suggestion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old 1992 Theta Pro Basic 3 D/A which uses Nichicon Muse Electrolytic Caps throughout. I am thinking updating these electro caps (mostly 2200uf, 4700uf and 47uf.) Should I replace them with the same Nichicon Muse caps, Panasonic FCs or other decent/affordable caps you can suggest? Which one will sound better? I know Blackgate supposed to be the best but I don't want to spend few hundred $ for an outdated d/a. Thank you very much for you input in advance.

Perhaps you would consider a Simple Bypass arrangement.
Using Film 'n foils your preference, but size may be an issue,
you would halve the ESR of the existing Caps.. a Good thing :) and this will give performance potential far in advance of a simple Black Gate install.
Save a bit of $$ too.

analogdiy said:
I have an old 1992 Theta Pro Basic 3 D/A which uses Nichicon Muse Electrolytic Caps throughout. I am thinking updating these electro caps (mostly 2200uf, 4700uf and 47uf.) Should I replace them with the same Nichicon Muse caps, Panasonic FCs or other decent/affordable caps you can suggest? Which one will sound better? I know Blackgate supposed to be the best but I don't want to spend few hundred $ for an outdated d/a. Thank you very much for you input in advance.

I would go for Panasonic FC caps. I extensively compared Nichicone Muse and Panasonic FC, and while Nichicons are not that bad, Panasonics are simply more musical. Nichicons have more open top end, but sound less involving and more mechanical comparing to Panasonic FC.

Bare said:
and this will give performance potential far in advance of a simple Black Gate install.
Save a bit of $$ too.

I never found it "far in advance". In coupling applications I actually prefer BG type N to Hovlands and Jensen caps, not to mention Wimas and ERO.

I modded Shanling and used 2 x 220U BG STD (back to back) bypassed by Auricaps and it actually didn't sound bad (but again, I did not compare it to other types).

I agree with Peter.

Also, many suppliers (including Digikey) are carrying the Panasonic FM series. Voltage only to 50V, and not many values under 220µf (but a decent selection of larger values).

Have not tried them yet, but specs say 50% lower ESR than the FC's and up to 50% higher ripple current. Sounds like something to investigate.:magnify:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.