micro controllers and eproms...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
iwg.jpg

/U.

:bawling:

ok how about this...can you copy eprommed codes down...for example if you want to mess around with a machine...can you copy the codes to a computer...so that when....as it is innevitable....it f&%¤s up i can just replace it with a new one...but with the old code....or is this impossible...

i shall use google before asking dumn questions....i shall us go.....

alecwek said:
:bawling:

ok how about this...can you copy eprommed codes down...for example if you want to mess around with a machine...can you copy the codes to a computer...so that when....as it is innevitable....it f&%¤s up i can just replace it with a new one...but with the old code....or is this impossible...

i shall use google before asking dumn questions....i shall us go.....

Yes you can, if that's what you're looking to do, you'll need an eprom reader and eventually an eprom burner. Both can be found on electronics sites. As to what you can do with it, that depends on what you're trying to do and which controller it is.

In other words, google for eprom burners and readers. That'll get you started.

Nisbeth said:

one of the best ways of starting is with a Basic Stamp from Parallax www.parallax.com -- the reason being that programming a MCU isn't that difficult -- oftentime the difficulty arises in the interfaces, whether to use a pull-up or pull-down resistor, setting the analog interfaces. The Stamp software is free, there are several support groups. The windows-based programming environment has great debugging tools.

Once you've developed some expertise in Stamp Applications you can move onto the micro-controllers from Microchip, Motorola, Intel, Atmel, Texas Instruments -- there are even programs which "look like" Stamp Basic.

btw, you should be subscribing to Elektor -- they have several microprocessor based projects every month.

I think you'd be less frustated if you started with a Stamp, got some projects to work, then moved into PICs or AVR's.

Jack

Erm... microcontrollers are great fun and pretty easy...

I cant really speak about the basic stamp, as i've never used it but heard many good words said about it...

I would like to bring Picaxe to the thread!! Revolution education have a great line of microcontrollers.

A little explination.
It took me really quite a while to get a grasp of some of this but i'll put it really simple.

As has been said... programming microcontrollers isn't always so easy... however using flash based mc's makes things alot easier (PIC16Fxxx F for Flash). Programmers can be found for around 40usd$ on the net but they are not always needed.

Geting into pic's in a big way one would require a programmer but as a start, and really quite a good and indepth one, revolution offer a real ace solution.

The flash based pic's have a useful function that is to be able to re-write their own memory whilst a program is running. This is where revolution program the pic's with a small program called a bootstrap... basically on startup of the pic it looks for a signal on a data recieve pin, which if preasent switches into a program mode, and it programs itself from a 3 wire serial interface... nothing required except some cable, a pc with a serial port and a D style socket.... it connects straight to the port. Rev do their own programming editor which i have found (a level electronics) has more than enough functionality and is not 'childish' in any way. a simple knowledge of the basic programming language is helpful but by using the flowchart program maker and then looking at the generated code, even 15 year olds with a handful of braincells catch on... its a reall good way of learning, and as i say, it still has significant depth to be able to make something useful!

Pic's are available with the bootstrap code programmed for like £2 odd and any help as far as wiring or code comes in the really good pdf help files or you can feel free to email me any questions and as and when i get online i will andswer!

Also... many of these pic's have eeprom data area in them and programming it with the serial interface is as simple as:

eeprom startaddress(bit1,bit2,bit3 etc...)

the pics have upto 256b of eeprom data onboard... but you can buy a i2c eeprom that connects to the pic by 2 cables and you can get upto like a meg of room... which when programming is a rediculous amount of room...

A bit more depth... just for your understanding... pic's run programs that are in hex... usually you use a higher level programming landuage and then compile it into assembler, then hex and download the hex file... but many languages i have found for free are hard for me to get my head around, but i'm getting there slowly!

If you need any help pls email or post, and i'd gladly try to get you set up with something working. I have had immense help from diyaudio regarding my poweramp projects and horn loaded bass cabs, so its about time i shoveled some of my knowledge in, useless as a lot of it may be!!

Cheers

Matt

slight amendment....

pics have many wonderful built in features and picaxe support many of them such as 10bit and 8bit analogue to digital, dedicated pwm processor and i2c comms, usart and they throw in commands to make infra red and other cool stuff easy... really, its the best i've found.

In my synth, there's a 27512 EPROM. I want to put the latest firmware in it and I need an UV eraser if I keep the same chip(And it makes it work slower after). So, I wondered if I could just put a 28512 EEPROM instead of the 27512(So I don't need a UV eraser to erase it if there is a programming error).

hey does any one know what it would take to program them....i guess some sort of serial port programmer right??.....but what about the code...what would that be in....anyone know articles....

Just click
here.
There, you will find a lot of cheap DIY eeprom programmers(Don't play with eproms, you need to pay 150$USD to buy a light to erase them or play with UV tubes, which is dangerous, use eeproms instead, if you desing the thing, if it's to replace an eprom, you'll know if yes or not after I'm being replied).

man i love this forum....thanks a lot guys....im now really into the idea...but wait...dyou actually mean i dont need to learn all the hex and binary algibra...i can just us c+ then compile it ....hmm...nice cause binary math is slightly scary......anyway.....im off to start a wonderful new hobby....thanks guys.....

hey ...i just got some ICs ...not eeproms or eproms ot anything...but there was a huge anti static sticker on the packet....i know quite a few chips can be destroyed be discharging from ur fingers...but what precautions should i take....i mean do need to hold them with pincers or somethinng?:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.