Is it worthwhile to buy Bulk Metal Resistors? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2004, 09:03 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Is it worthwhile to buy Bulk Metal Resistors?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunsun22
Notwithstanding the benefits as stated in advertisement (e.g. texascomponents.com), is there any practical reason to use this type of resistors? Does anyone changed to this type of resistors in amp and feel the difference in sound?
To answer the original question, yes, there is a difference and there might be practical reason to use those type of resistors.

But it's not as easy as swappinging all resistor with the other type and expecting big gains. For each specific part of a circuit, a specific type of resistor may be more beneficial than other type. Ideally, checking different res types in a circuit would be best, but this requires time and money, and with complex circuits it's very inconvenient.

I was playing in this way with my GC amp, but since only 4 resistors were used, it was relatively easy. I decided for different type of resistors in different parts of the circuit, as only then I was able to achieve proper (at least for me) tonal balance. So it was Caddock for feedback and input shunting, Riken for gain setting (-IN to ground) and Vishay for series input resistance.

Had I used all same resistors in all those positions, the effect would be much less satisfying (as I tied it too).
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 18th August 2004, 09:04 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Percy told me he's changing his S102K stock over to the so-called naked Vishays (= Texas Components TX2352s). The last package of Vishays I received from Percy was a mix of encapsulated and unencapsulated S102Ks for which I was charged the same $11+ price per resistor.

Here is contact information for ordering TX2352s from Texas Components:

Quote:
Arbie Lopez
Customer Service/ Sales
Texas Components Corporation
Ph. 713-468-3882 Fax 713-461-2098
alopez@texascomponents.com
Old 18th August 2004, 09:18 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

This clarifies things. I'm surprised though that he decided for the change. Those resistors are very fragile and special packaging is required, however it seems like profit margin might be bigger
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 18th August 2004, 09:49 PM   #24
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Quote:
bought whole bunch of S102s from the guy selling them on a forum (at $2, initially),
The posts of Archaic Audio guy can be found by searching the Trading Post, but he bumped the price to $4 apiece - probably because Peter and I went on about what a good deal it was!!

Although he has every right to do this , I found it annoying and have no desire to order more from him. This is great news that there are probably better sounding alternatives at a similar price!
Old 18th August 2004, 10:05 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac

Although he has every right to do this , I found it annoying and have no desire to order more from him. This is great news that there are probably better sounding alternatives at a similar price!
That's also how I feel about it. He was even threatening that he might bump the price to $5. I'd rather get nude Vishays, especially when they sound better.
Old 19th August 2004, 12:52 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the fruitful input from you all. I have obtained the following quote from Texas Components: -

TXA100 series 100R00 0.66W
10.47ea, 10pcs=9.53 0.1%
12.88ea 10= 11.73 0.01%

Other than the shape, does TXA100 has the same quality as S102? (According to ad, yes).

Sunny
Old 19th August 2004, 01:29 AM   #27
jhead is offline jhead  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Alternate to Vishay-Caddock

I'm curious to know if anyone has experiance with Alpha Electronics metal foil resistors I understand they are made in Japan there web site is www.alpha-amer.com check them out
Old 19th August 2004, 03:56 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Here are some interesting forum links regarding resistors. The last one deals with Alpha resistors.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/searc...der=descending
Old 19th August 2004, 04:38 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Here's the recent quote for TX2352 resistors. As I expected price depends on the tolerance and value. Comparing to this, Caddocks are still much cheaper when specific values are required (like 220k, for instance)

Quote:
These are all 0.01%

(2) S102K TX2352 100R00 0.01% = $7.51ea.

(2) S102K TX2352 22K000 0.01% = $8.25ea.

(2) S102K TX2352 100K00 0.01% = $15.01ea.

(2) S102C TX2352 220K00 0.01% = $21.76ea.

These are 1.0%

(2) S102K TX2352 100R00 1.0% = $5.92ea.

(2) S102K TX2352 22K000 1.0% = $6.51ea.

(2) S102K TX2352 100K00 1.0% = $11.83ea.

(2) S102C TX2352 220K00 1.0% = $17.16ea.
Old 1st June 2007, 08:53 PM   #30
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

You know you have a real 'out of control' DIY issue when you are contemplating the design of your own resistive compounds.

Hide this!Advertise here!