Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2004, 02:23 PM   #1
Hemppis is offline Hemppis  Finland
diyAudio Member

Question Using this PSU?

Hey all!

I got hold of 3 of this kind of PSU (see images below), stripped from old external hard drive units. So, I was wondering if these could be used as a PSU to any DIY project (DAC, preamp, CMOY, etc?)?

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

Thanks in advance
Old 14th August 2004, 04:19 PM   #2
johnnyx is offline johnnyx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

They are switch - mode power supplies. The output voltages will probably be 5v and 12v. that may be useful for a digital circuit, but not so good for an audio circuit. I'd expect a fair ammount of power for their size. They give out RF noise too, and should be screened from audio stuff.

I've used similar ones though, for the digital control of a preamp; worth having, I would say.
Old 14th August 2004, 08:20 PM   #3
Hemppis is offline Hemppis  Finland
diyAudio Member

Outputs are indeed +5 and +12V (4th pic )

So it's only good for powering the digital side of things...
With me being a n00b, would you care to elaborate a bit?
Old 15th August 2004, 08:45 PM   #4
johnnyx is offline johnnyx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Analogue op -amp circuits usually run from split-rail supplies of +15v and -15v. DACs could be powered from that supply though. You could use two, one for +12v and+5v with a common ground, the other for the -12v. Connect the ground to the +12v of the last one, so you get +12v, +5v, and -12v. This should be useful to you. I have used switching supplies on audio circuits without problems of noise, but I had one where it was getting in via the ground lead. It was just +12v, so signal ground and power ground both used the 0v rail. It was noisy, and there was not much I could do, because of the layout. This is the reason for my words of caution, so you aren't disappointed with your first projects. You could read up on these things, so you can best avoid problems.

Hope this helps, have fun
Old 15th August 2004, 10:20 PM   #5
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

I bought about 30 of these off ebay, they were apparently oem modules for external computer stuff. Jameco also sells this exact model. The outputs are 1 amp on the 12v and 1.5 amps on the 5v. I've got them running some control type electronics and havn't had problems, but they seem to be very sensitive to overloading as they won't tolerate it for long before they blow.

Hide this!Advertise here!