Using this PSU?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are switch - mode power supplies. The output voltages will probably be 5v and 12v. that may be useful for a digital circuit, but not so good for an audio circuit. I'd expect a fair ammount of power for their size. They give out RF noise too, and should be screened from audio stuff.

I've used similar ones though, for the digital control of a preamp; worth having, I would say.:)

Analogue op -amp circuits usually run from split-rail supplies of +15v and -15v. DACs could be powered from that supply though. You could use two, one for +12v and+5v with a common ground, the other for the -12v. Connect the ground to the +12v of the last one, so you get +12v, +5v, and -12v. This should be useful to you. I have used switching supplies on audio circuits without problems of noise, but I had one where it was getting in via the ground lead. It was just +12v, so signal ground and power ground both used the 0v rail. It was noisy, and there was not much I could do, because of the layout. This is the reason for my words of caution, so you aren't disappointed with your first projects. You could read up on these things, so you can best avoid problems.

Hope this helps, have fun:D

I bought about 30 of these off ebay, they were apparently oem modules for external computer stuff. Jameco also sells this exact model. The outputs are 1 amp on the 12v and 1.5 amps on the 5v. I've got them running some control type electronics and havn't had problems, but they seem to be very sensitive to overloading as they won't tolerate it for long before they blow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.