Stepping motor volume control - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2002, 06:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Has anyone actualy built one?

All good ideas. What I am wondering is, has anyone ever built such a beast?

Also, what is the thinking about induced noise in the audio cicuitry from all this motor control/IR circuitry? Would sheet metal shielding alone be adequate? (realizing of course, that noise induced from the steppers themselves would only be apparent during motor operation, which is not really an issue).

I too would love to see a simple stepper control circuit!
Old 6th June 2002, 07:41 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default motor control

Yes you are right, the motors only operate when operating (huh? did I say that?), so here noise is not a problem.
The IR only works when you send a command - again, no issue as far as noise is concerned.
The ucontroller can be put to sleep, and the clock stopped, waking up if a command comes in - again, no problem.

My article describes the design using discrete logic with an IR channel which is not RC5, but RC5 should even be easier what with all the integrated xmitters and receivers available. There are tons of app notes for this.

Alternatively, you can run it from the front panel using 4 switches - vol up, vol dn, bal left, bal right.

If you know anything about PICs, converting the discrete logic to software should not be to difficult.

But, if your question is, do I have a tried and trusted design that you can copy 1-to-1, sorry, that would only take the fun out of CREATING something...

Cheers, jan Didden
Old 6th June 2002, 07:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default motor control

Gilid,

Just realised you're in France.

My design was also published in L'Audiophile, don't know which issue but should be around end 91, 92

Jan Didden
Old 6th June 2002, 08:26 PM   #14
FBJ is offline FBJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Guys, janneman's article in TAA is worth looking at. Cause not only does he have the schematics, and PCBs layout but he shows how to mount and support stepper motors in the preamp chassis. And the info is a little dated but all this can give you guys ideas on how to try other designs.
Or if you are lazy like me I would used the Holtek IR chips (transmit & recevice) loacted at www.rentron.com with schematics and PCBs for sale. And then go to a book store and look at some of the schematics in the, How to build Robots books. These books have many circuits showing schematics of motor control chips and diagrams that recevice pulses from an IR circuit to control the motors.
Old 6th June 2002, 08:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The last sentence of my last post maybe misleading. What I meant to say saw, an IR circuit can be integrated into the motor controller circuit to supply the required pulses to the stepper motor controller chip that I have seen used to control stepper motors in robots.
Old 7th June 2002, 06:40 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default motor control

FBJ,

I looked at the rentron site, they have a 4 channel IR that would be a perfect match to my circuit. Remember that this has 4 logic inputs, meant for front panel switches (vol up, vol dn, bal l, bal r) but will readily accept the outputs from that IR (you may need an inverter, haven't looked at the polarity), you wouldn't need the relays either.
The only remaining thing then is to mecahnically integrate the steppers with the stepped attenuator instead of the pots, and wire the end-point contacts from the extra deck to the logic, deleting the comparators that I used to detect end of travel.
Neat, huh?

Cheers, Jan Didden
Old 8th June 2002, 03:25 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

That's a good idea janneman,
But I got a IR remote control circuit that I designed working great with motorized pots using Holek IR chips and logic ICs. It took me many times to get the circuit to work but as far as I can tell anything works correctly. My next step is to use a PIC to control everything and the only thing keeping me from starting is time and software know how. I built a HarryHaller passive preamp with caddocks resistors and Alps black beauty pot and I must agree that I think the sound quailty equals any attenutor (to my ears).
But on another subject. I have the High Performance Regulators PCBs from Old Colony un-stuff and I know you help developed them. Are you still using these regulator boards in any of your system conponents? If so, how do these regulators still sound? Yes I know Walt Jung has a newer design in Audio Electonics 4/2000 but I want to try the older design first. Any answers would be helpful.
Old 9th June 2002, 04:23 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I have used a stepper motor before. They are very simple to control and they are precised. Unipolar might be easier for you to use instead of bipolar. Stepper motors don't need a gear box because they already have enough torque

Try searching http://www.epanorama.net

Also look at http://www.howstuffworks.com/gear-ratio.htm on gear ratios.

If you hate using infrared. Go to Ramsley Electronics and pick out an RF transmitter and a reciever. Those devices looks like they can only controll one device, but with a microcontoller you can controll many devices by sending a data tranmission like a phone modem.
Old 9th June 2002, 10:28 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default motor control

I agree.

If you want to use IR because of the ready availability of all sorts of remote control units, there is tons of info on the net for receivers and decoding by PICs. Look in the PIC areas or general IR or remote control.
Most of the PIC implementations I have seen work by counting clock pulses between received 0-1 or 1-0 transitions to determine code and address.

FBJ: yes I use these regulators in most of my projects as a matter of routine, they work great. Don't forget that any active circuit is designed with the implicit assumption that the supply is DC with a zero AC component. Any real world supply falls short of that ideal, meaning that the circuit does something else than you intended. The closer you get to an ideal supply, the more the circuit works as intended.

I like to think of a circuit as an athlete. He/she has to perform on his/her own, like running or high-jump. When the moment is there, nobody can do that for him/her. But, there is a coach, a doctor, a tech advisor, a spiritual advisor and what have you, to make sure he/she perform at the top level at the moment of truth. So it is with circuits. Give it the best support you can: first rate connectors, solid construction, high quality components, and yes, one of those super regulators....

Cheers, Jan Didden
Old 16th June 2002, 11:10 PM   #20
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Have a look at my site. RC5 decoding routing for PIC, not by counting, but by a state-machine in the software.

I use it for a preamp to (among other things) control the motorised alps volumepot.

A previous version i once built used a disk-drive steppermotor, controlled by an 6502 processorboard. Peices of LEGO-technic to connect the steppermotor to the pot.. Good old times..
Easy to do in PIC these days..

If anyone needs more info, send me a mail.

Guido

Hide this!Advertise here!