Creating a remote volume control for Creative 4.1 Digital Surround Sound Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2004, 01:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Creating a remote volume control for Creative 4.1 Digital Surround Sound Speakers

I was just contemplating this idea and wanted to know if it was even possible.

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to electronic boards / transistors, etc. so I probably would need a lot of help from people/friends to help me make it if it was possible.

I have this set of 4.1 surround sound speakers (Creative, Digital) and want to make a IR/RF remote volume control so that I can be sitting away from my desk and still control the volume of my computer speakers. The currnt volume control is wired so I can only change the volume if i'm 2 feet away from the subwolfer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12th August 2004, 03:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm no expert at this at all, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt...

There is a lot involved with creating a remote control. First you have to come up with the transmitting circuit, the receiving circuit and all the infared codes to control the devices. I don't know anything about infareds, so it seems pretty daunting to me.

However, they make remotes especially for PC's (with the advent of the Home Theater PC trend) that will control the volume of the PC (the system volume, not just the speakers) And I think they only cost around 40-50 bucks US. I believe ATI makes a pretty popular one. It's a much easier and quicker route.... Unless you really want to create your own remote control. Then best of luck.
Old 12th August 2004, 04:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That is really the problem, I'm trying to hook these speakers up to my computer and my home entertainment system. The outs from my tv aren't volume controled using the tv remote. I do understand what you mean about the computer remote though.

Thanks
cheese
Old 13th August 2004, 07:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default quick compromised solution...

If your TV has a headphone or external speaker connectors, hook up them to the line in, and u have control from your TV remote

Gajanan
-------__--_-____-----_____-----_--_-_-_-_-_-_-

Hide this!Advertise here!