Sequential LED driver. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2004, 09:41 PM   #11
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For bar mode only, I'd think a raft of quad opamps (LM324) or comparators (LM339) would work out far cheaper than using several LM3914 chips.

You could run the chips off say 18V and chop say a regulated 15V up with a resistor chain to use as the references for each level. A pot on the supply gives you the comparison voltage.
Old 12th August 2004, 05:09 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default sequential LED in DOT mode

If you are not interested in voltage and only interested in DOT mode, then you should use 4017s in a tricky way.

This was the need in one timer and I wanted to indicate the step number by a glowing LED. The oscillator was made programmable using ICM7217. This is something like a programmable mechanical street light timer.

The trick...

Follow carefully
LED 9(at pin 11) is not connected in all 4017s

The pin 11 is utilised to disable the present chip though an EX-OR gate and enables the next through another EX-OR. One input of the first EX-OR ic is tied high(can be looped also).The EX-OR output goes to clock inhibit (pin 13).

tie all resets together and all clock pins together. Get your clock and reset with large fan-out

Pin 11 will go to one i/p of self EX-OR and one i/p of next EX-OR

You want them to come back and forth, then place the LEDs wherever you want.

LED No.1-No.50-2-49-3-48-4-...

Gajanan
Old 12th August 2004, 07:15 AM   #13
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Hi gmphadte, i see you've found the other thread.
To Moderators: I didn't mean to start two threads on the same subject- my appologies.
cpemma, that's another great idea. Would a LM324 or something similar be ok with outputting dc? Would it be stable driving a load such as an led? I've never used one for anything other than audio. The 3914's are under $2 each and they include everything I'd need to have a working display, but the op amp idea is interesting- might be easier to configure for custom trigger levels. Hmmm.
Old 12th August 2004, 11:41 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default another ic

You have to use LM339, a quad comparator with open collector. Typical output sink current is 16 mA.

Connecting a currenr source instead of resistors for LEDs will save lot of wiring trouble. Connect a ladder made from LEDs to the outputs, below the cc source. Being open collector the output transistor that conducts will prevent others from lighting.

Vcc--16 mA CC source--LED1 A - LED1 K--*--LED2 A - LED2 K--*--LED.....

Use higher Vcc to make a longer chain

K-cathode
A-anode
* Comparator o/p goes here
Ground is not connected

Gajanan
Old 12th August 2004, 04:03 PM   #15
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imix500
Would a LM324 or something similar be ok with outputting dc?
It can be connected as a comparator, no feedback resistor, just the reference voltage to one input, voltage signal to the other. Output swings from 0V to (Vs-1.5) on a single rail supply, IIRC will source 20mA OK. See the datasheet to check.
Old 13th August 2004, 02:41 PM   #16
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Gotcha. That's a pretty cool idea. I'm gonna breadboard a few of these and see how they do. Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!