Jumping The Gun - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2004, 05:49 PM   #1
alecwek is offline alecwek  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Question Jumping The Gun

ok....so i am planning to build a new amp ....cause my old monolithic beast is a bit on the large side to haul off to a university dorm in the uk....im in denmark...so i say to my self i sez....why not take a part the old beast....for the heck of it,,,,might even get a few parts out of it....hehe...i got a transformer and loads of caps...and about a thousand "N-O" switches any way ...way at the back mounted to the heatsink were to ICs..... TDA795..i treid to attach the data sheet but the forum doesnt like me today...keeps telling me it only accepts jpeg images,zip etc....when the damn data sheets are in jpeg....oh well...but the question is what are these babies...the sheet makes it sound like they are transcunductance...transresistance amplefiers....with an output stage all in one IC, i got pretty exited at first....50 watt pocket size amps....where do i sign up .....this cant be true....common sense seems to tell me its not achevable...cause the amp...a cheap stereo as it might have been sounded great(....for a cheap stereo....) well if we use the lin 3stage amplifier as a model....(cause thats the easiest way for me to picture an amp) ...what parts/stages do ICs like this represent....just the output?....cause they are more than just transistors!!!!!arent they?!....or is that just what i think......please help........

one last thing...can the heatsinks of transistors be grounded?...in short is it ok for my heat sinks to be leaning on the chassis.....is there any risk of shocking exepriences...or is it safe....
Old 24th July 2004, 08:42 PM   #2
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

There are a number of ways of isolating power devices from heatsinke. The easiest is to choose devices with a plastic case (yes power devices do!).

We have a chip-amps forum. I suggest you look over there for some project information. Most, though not all, members seem to prefer the National Semiconductor series of chips. These are suitable for "minimalist" amps.
Old 25th July 2004, 02:00 PM   #3
alecwek is offline alecwek  Denmark
diyAudio Member

umm..thanks....i hope u dont mind if i repost my question ...there....u can delete this...sorry i didnt think to look in other formus....i just searched...then came here and posted....

Hide this!Advertise here!