What happened to my cdp?? help!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I changed the opamp, signal coupling caps and output caps of my cdp, but when I thought all is done, I found that there is no sound but some "hum" in the left channel!! What happened? I tried to use my dmm to find out the problem, but I don't know how...plz help, I am deeply frustrated:dead: :dead: :dead:

It was my cd player.

I changed the opa604 to opa627 and opa2134 to opa637 and the signal output caps are 2 2.2uf ero mkp caps and the signal caps are 2 axon 33uf film cap.

I think the opamps are ok as I got sound from the right channel, and the DCV of the coupling caps in left channel is higher then that in the right, is it the culprit? the problem may seem stupid as i am just a rookie to DIY, plz help

You'll need to supply more details; CD player?
It was my cd player.

*LOOOL*

Sorry Ronardi, which CD player type was it exactly. Please supply a link to the schematics and datasheet or (if those aren't available) make a scan of the schematics and load the pictures up. You were using schematics, were you?

I changed the opa604 to opa627

Why?

and opa2134 to opa637

The OPA2134 is a dual opamp. The OPA 637 is not. How and why should that work?

Please make a comparison between your left and right channel: check every single solder joint, the orientation of every polarized component, check for solder residue that could produce shorts between copper traces, damaged components, etc.

Sebastian.

It was my cd player.

I changed the opa604 to opa627 and opa2134 to opa637 and the signal output caps are 2 2.2uf ero mkp caps and the signal caps are 2 axon 33uf film cap.

I think the opamps are ok as I got sound from the right channel, and the DCV of the coupling caps in left channel is higher then that in the right, is it the culprit? the problem may seem stupid as i am just a rookie to DIY, plz help

Thanks you all,

just forgot to provide some more detail of my case. I know opa2134 is a dual opamp, so i substituted it with two opa637 on an adapter board. Thus I think the opamp part is ok. Do you think the problem came from the caps? the voltage readin of the two channels are different!

Hi Ronardi,

well, now that you answer my questions for details with a simple double post (?!), I'll just ask other questions. ;)

It was my cd player.

If that means that you've built the player completely by yourself, I understood you right now. Otherwise, please write down, which brand and type or model it exactly is.

Secondly, please point on a schematic or provide one yourself. We can't help you out as long as we don't know what you're talking about.

the DCV of the coupling caps in left channel is higher then that in the right
the voltage readin of the two channels are different

What does that mean, Ronaldi?

Where do those coupling caps sit (schematic-wise, not when you look at the board)? Directly before the output? Or inside the I/V or buffer stages?

How much voltage do you measure (mv or V) and where exactly? Across the cap or between one of the cap's pins and ground, or where (across) exactly?

I assume: across the cap's pins. Did you do all the tests I suggested (solder joints, polarity)? Can you test the components for failures (caps, opamps, everything around them in the circuit)?

so i substituted it with two opa637 on an adapter board

That may already be the explanation. As Elso pointed out, the opa637 isn't stable in the same environment as the opa(2)134! Why (exactly) did you choose the opa637, and why do you expect it to work (e.g. circuit gain is >5, compensation/bypassing provided etc.)?

just forgot to provide some more detail of my case

Yeah! Sorry, :cool:
Sebastian.

sek said:
Hi Ronardi,

well, now that you answer my questions for details with a simple double post (?!), I'll just ask other questions. ;)

If that means that you've built the player completely by yourself, I understood you right now. Otherwise, please write down, which brand and type or model it exactly is.

Secondly, please point on a schematic or provide one yourself. We can't help you out as long as we don't know what you're talking about.

My CD player is a Original(Made in China) A9.8 or "DaVinci", maybe you don't know much about this...

What does that mean, Ronaldi?

Where do those coupling caps sit (schematic-wise, not when you look at the board)? Directly before the output? Or inside the I/V or buffer stages?

two of them sits right before the dac chip and the other two sits before before the RCA anologue output

How much voltage do you measure (mv or V) and where exactly? Across the cap or between one of the cap's pins and ground, or where (across) exactly?

I assume: across the cap's pins. Did you do all the tests I suggested (solder joints, polarity)? Can you test the components for failures (caps, opamps, everything around them in the circuit)?

In fact, I do hope providing more details by, I just can't....My electronics knowledge(may not beyond the level of "common sense" much)is very limited. I modified the CD player by following someone's experience in other forum....and they say it's easy..so I did it..

That may already be the explanation. As Elso pointed out, the opa637 isn't stable in the same environment as the opa(2)134! Why (exactly) did you choose the opa637, and why do you expect it to work (e.g. circuit gain is >5, compensation/bypassing provided etc.)?

I chose the opa637 because someone using the same player changed the stock one to this and work well. I just follow...

Yeah! Sorry, :cool:
Sebastian.

:bawling: :bawling:

My CD player is a Original(Made in China) A9.8 or "DaVinci", maybe you don't know much about this...

two of them sits right before the dac chip and the other two sits before before the RCA anologue output

In fact, I do hope providing more details by, I just can't....My electronics knowledge(may not beyond the level of "common sense" much)is very limited. I modified the CD player by following someone's experience in other forum....and they say it's easy..so I did it..

I chose the opa637 because someone using the same player changed the stock one to this and work well. I just follow...

I think the advice from sek regarding thoroughly checking for shorts and dry joints should be you first step. Use an illuminated magnifier and remake any joint that looks less than perfect and run a blade between adjacent solder pads even if no short is visible. Always check the basics and assume nothing.

Apart from that have you got any pics of the internals of the player, it probably won't help but I'd be interested to see what's inside.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.